Pellet stove

Page 7 of 10
(Harry Chickpea) says...

Perhaps one species was imported, but there are several earthworm species that are native to North America.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu (Goedjn) says...

Yes, it does matter where it came from. In the case of biofuels, the carbon all came out of the atmosphere, so you are not adding any more. In the case of fossil fuels, all the carbon came out of the ground, and you are dumping it into the atmosphere, causing a carbon buildup.
It doesn't matter whether you burn corn or not, all the carbon will end up back in the atmosphere unless you protect it from decay. If you want to sequester carbon, you have to put it back into the ground. That's why those landfills full of disposable diapers have their up side.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Larry Caldwell wrote:

Fossil fuels <are> biofuels...just not currently produced.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

and therefore the carbon isn't current either. Burning it releases that stored carbon into play.
--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Steve Spence wrote:

But where did it come from?
(Duane Bozarth) says...

Supernovae
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Duane Bozarth wrote:

But Oil may not be a fossil fuel. It may well be left over from the formation of the solar system.
....Brock.
Brock Ulfsen wrote:

What evidence for that is there?

Here are some of the points of circumstantial evidence for that theory:
1) Oil was found on Mars
2) Oil was found in Sweden at the rim of a meteorite crater that punctured the earth's crust millions of years ago. There were none of the porous coral-reef ocean-sediment formations that normally hold oil were found, and are postulated to be where oil must be formed by ancient lifeforms.
3) The Earth's core contains a large amount of silicon carbide, as well as radioactive elements. In theory, hydrocarbons should be a bi-product of the radioactive decay process, and being very light, should rise towards the surface, where it would be trapped by porous reservoirs and sealed in by impervious overburden.
JoeSixPack wrote:

Any citations for any of the above?

Google "abiotic oil"
JoeSixPack wrote:

I did--it's hokum.

When I heard this idea about 20 years ago,k it was a very fringe idea. Since then, it has gained credibility, not faded away. That's not the normal course for "hokum"
Harvard Magazine doesn't seem to agree with you: http://www.harvard-magazine.com/on-line/030573.html
http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php?id 30&print=1
If you'd bothered to read any of this, the word "hokum" would only occur to a mindless idiot.
JoeSixPack wrote:

Well, a lab experiment which shows one can possibly generate small amounts of methane is, as is noted in the article, a long way from being anything at all conclusive about the origins of large reservoirs of petroleum products.
All I have seen so far I would say is hokum wrt to being the origin of the known large commercially viable reserves.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

So explain Carbonaceous Chondrites.
....Brock.
Brock Ulfsen wrote:

Whatever their explanation, they're not the source of production oil reserves.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

You have proof of this?
....Brock.
Brock Ulfsen wrote:

As much proof as you that they are...
As I replied to JoeSixPack on the subject when he complained that "fringe science" led to new discoveries--"Maybe, but I don't believe this one is going to be one. We can just hide and watch"
I expect this to not be shown to be.

What's the basis of your expectation? Science or bias?
JoeSixPack wrote:

My reading of what papers/references I have seen tempered by my engineering/physics training...