OT Will search engines find my webpage?

Page 1 of 2
OT
Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url. And my home address on the page.
I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone book and off the web.
My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.
Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they haven't.
On 1/27/2012 9:58 AM, micky wrote:

Hard to say. When I first did web pages, where I list everything, I got a lot of notice, but the web has grown exponentially since then and it's hard to get noticed.
Tell the offended party to take it down but I have a phone line I use for business that is listed at a locksmith's site and no matter what I've done, its still listed and every few months I get a call for a locksmith.

Unless you lied when you set up the domain name, it is a public record.
Google probably knows everything there is to know about you.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I doubt they registered a domain for a guy who bought a used car (or any car for that matter). My guess is that he's on a subdomain, like www.micky.usedcars.com.

That's a given, for all of us.
Jon
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:48:11 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Yes, it's just like that. www.MickyMouse.servicemyFord.us assuming my last name is Mouse.
So they don't have to register the name, and put it on the list of domains google starts crawling from??
How does the DNS find it then?

On 1/28/2012 1:22 AM, micky wrote:

Only a domain needs to be registered.

DNS points to the domain and google crawls everthing it can find at that location.

micky wrote:

Nope, just the 'servicemyFord.us' part is a registered domain.

There is a DNS entry for 'servicemyford.us', and any subdomain will be located at the same IP. Think of it as an internel folder called MickyMouse that is on the servicemyford.us machine.
Jon
On 1/27/2012 1:48 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Heck, I've tried to find myself and can't. o_O
TDD
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:02:18 -0600, The Daring Dufas

That's what my mother said about me, He's trying to find himself.
Now we can hire a service to do that.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:36:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So are you saying that the webcrawlers used by search engines looks at the list of registered domain names, when it is crawling?

On 1/27/2012 9:58 AM, micky wrote:

The first thing I would do is to call the dealer and ask them why they did that and ask them to remove it. Then let them know why you will let everyone possible know not to patronize their business because they don't respect personal privacy.

This seems to be a trend with dealers for service, making offers on new cars, etc. From my testing, they don't show up in the public domain and are intended for use by the dealer and recipient only.
On 1/27/2012 10:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Agree that it is a trend that we are not allowed to have privacy. It doesn't mean I need to go along with it or patronize a business that violates personal privacy.

Yeah, I'm going to do that, but first I wanted to know how annoyed I should be, and how strongly I should point out to them** that they risk harming a customer.
**Okay, now I'm going to be sure to tale to the Parts and Service Director, instead of someone lower.

I'm 700 miles away so I can't really do that. :(
BTW, when I got to the webpage, there was nothing there except a sruvey they wanted from me, in return for a free but unspecified gift. Thie gift might be a rear-view mirror pine tree air freshener,
And google map instructions on how to get to the dealer. If I managed to buy the car, surely I can get to the dealer again.
I thought maybe I'd be able to take my phone of their every 3 month call-me list, to remind me I need an oil change, but no.
On 1/28/2012 1:01 AM, micky wrote:

Likely some facebook/twitter devotee who thinks everyone's bowel movements, cereal choice and activities by the second should be publicized made the decision to have the program. I would make noise until I got as high up on the food chain as I could.

There are various sites where you can post your experiences with businesses.

A good point. I do know about those pages.
In reply to your other post, the high level domain which is the part with my name has to be registered, if I understood you correctly, and that means for sure that search engines will read the new names on the registration list and find this page eventually, right?

If you learn HTML you can put meta tags onyour webpage that speeds things up a lot. Bit here on the topic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_tags
If you do your webpageon some word proceesors eg "Word", you can save as a webpage and it puts some in automatically but mostly crap you don't want.

This guy does NOT want his page found. It should be easy to get rid of it, or leave a blank page.
There was a day way back in the early browsing Internet, one day I entered my name, gregs page, and found infosearch had found it. I was amazed. That was it, there were no other gregs page. There was a time when google would not recognize my gregs page. Now, when you search gregs page, it's right back there near the top!
Greg

It is at the top!!!!
Google also like to rank pages according to how many other pages link to it. It has high priority. Of course, funding also sets priority.
Greg
On 1/27/2012 8:58 AM, micky wrote:

When I did my site there was a place to put in key words. My site always comes up on the first or second page of most searches.
www.safaricabs.com
If interested, I'm taking orders again but only for awhile. Send me the specs and I'll build it. Prices are negotiable.
Jim