OT Walmart sucks

Page 2 of 3
alt.home.repair:

I had a similar experience recently. I looked up something on the Walmart web site. It said the product may be stocked in my local store and to call for availability. So I did.
I got an operator who seemed to not quite know what to do, but she transferred me to that department. I was put on hold, where I remained for 20 minutes (I put the phone on speaker and went about my business) and then I got disconnected. I called back later and the same thing happened. A few days later I was driving by the store and stopped in and they did have it. I mentioned my experience to the Service Desk, and they seemed quite uninterested.
My expectations for Walmart are very low and they met them easily.
On 09/27/2014 01:43 PM, Nil wrote:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree at one of those style stores, it may have been wally world.
He told me they are instructed not to give that kind of assistance. If you want customer service, go to a full price store.
Funny, I have had customer call me on their cell phones from Best Buy (another discount crap store) and ask me what to buy. I remind them I sell the stuff too and to go find a sales assistant. I get back "I can't find one" or "they don't know what they are doing". I wind up buckling and helping them anyway. Hopefully, they felt a little guilty.
You just can't expect customer service from a discount store. Customer service is too expensive.
Trader Joe's on the other hand, has great prices and tremendous customer service. So, there are exceptions to every rule.
On 9/27/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:

Sounds like a good job. Qualifications?
On 09/27/2014 03:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hmmmmm. Got me there.
On 9/27/2014 6:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd also love to hear. Maybe when I'm grown up?
On 09/27/2014 05:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Qualifications:
1) must be on a pension
2) must be a cantankerous old fart 3) must actually like people
4) must not need the money
5) must be bored out of their skulls
6) and, as Ed mentioned, a pulse
Disqualifications:
1) Gas
On 9/27/2014 4:43 PM, Nil wrote:

That is the secret to being a satisfied Walmart customer
Todd wrote:

It's a lead sharpener for mechanical pencils - the kind that have a spring-loaded collet and a pushbutton on top . They were very common in the 1960's ...
--
Snag

I never saw the point in those. I always used (still use) an ordinary Staedtler white eraser.
Still have a Staedtler mechanical pencil and some 4H leads (my favorites). These get no use anymore.
Staedtler always made the best stuff. Berol and other makes were far inferior.

Those are still readily-available, because artists still use them.
--
Tegger

On 9/27/2014 6:33 PM, Tegger wrote:

They can get you arrested. Rewind to about 1991. We had a drafting table with one of those power erasers hanging on the side. It was a very open area and very visible. A job applicant made mention of what a nifty thing it was.
The next night the office was broken into and that was one of the items stolen. Took the police about a half hour to track him down.
On Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:46:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So, did you hire him?
On 10/6/2014 8:35 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Of course, how else would we get supervisors?
On 9/27/2014 6:33 PM, Tegger wrote:

I thought it was totally kewl. Still in Mom's cellar, hanging by the drawing board, I'm sure.
My drafting teacher used to always drone "use your eraser shield".

Phone your local community college and ask where the art students and architectural students go for their supplies. That's where you'll find the remnants of the old drafting industry.
--
Tegger

I still have one of them. Plus some 4H leads. I also still have some 2H, but that's only because they were too soft and lost their point too fast, so I stopped using them.
Many years ago, Staedtler stopped making the aluminum-bodied pencils; those were ever so much better than the plastic ones. The plastic ones have a tendency to break in half where the metal grip meets the blue plastic body. But it takes many months of hard use to make that happen.

The swirly sharpeners! I still have one of those, too! That little cigarette-filter wiper was useless: I'd fill it up in hours; so I just used a puff of breath to blow off the point after sharpening. I was sharpening every minute or less throughout the work day; there was always a lot of graphite dust in my garbage can.
Before computers came along, I went through one of those every few months. They would wear to the extent that the sharpener would leave a little ball on the end of the lead rather than pointing it properly. I used to buy them several at a time.

If you have one, why are you looking for another? Is yours worn out?
You can find theme at any specialty art-store, the kind where community- college art/architectural students buy their supplies. The store may need to order it in from Staedtler.
Where are you located?
--
Tegger

A pulse

When I attended a quarter of learning DRAFTING at University in 1965, I bought one of those miracle erasers by Staedler, the kind that 'lifts' off creating a long giant worm of rubbery dirty material. I still have it, still use it.
Also have one of those machine erasers that use the American type red rubber eraser, but it always rubbed holes in the vellum! I use it to twist cable wiring now.
alt.home.repair:

I was annoyed because the web site specifically said to call the store for availability, yet when I took their own advice and called, they just blew me off.
On 09/28/2014 09:23 PM, Nil wrote:

I have had the same experience.
On 9/29/2014 12:23 AM, Nil wrote:

Have you ever been to a WalMart? Have you actually checked out the employees? I'd never call and trust the answer.