OT Walmart sucks

It's a lead sharpener for mechanical pencils - the kind that have a spring-loaded collet and a pushbutton on top . They were very common in the

1960's ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi, And at least warm body answered the phone.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Should call Staples.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That is the secret to being a satisfied Walmart customer

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds like a good job. Qualifications?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Todd wrote in news:m0721o$an4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I never saw the point in those. I always used (still use) an ordinary Staedtler white eraser.

Still have a Staedtler mechanical pencil and some 4H leads (my favorites). These get no use anymore.

Staedtler always made the best stuff. Berol and other makes were far inferior.

Those are still readily-available, because artists still use them.

Reply to
Tegger

Seymore4Head wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Phone your local community college and ask where the art students and architectural students go for their supplies. That's where you'll find the remnants of the old drafting industry.

Reply to
Tegger

They can get you arrested. Rewind to about 1991. We had a drafting table with one of those power erasers hanging on the side. It was a very open area and very visible. A job applicant made mention of what a nifty thing it was.

The next night the office was broken into and that was one of the items stolen. Took the police about a half hour to track him down.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Seymore4Head wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I still have one of them. Plus some 4H leads. I also still have some 2H, but that's only because they were too soft and lost their point too fast, so I stopped using them.

Many years ago, Staedtler stopped making the aluminum-bodied pencils; those were ever so much better than the plastic ones. The plastic ones have a tendency to break in half where the metal grip meets the blue plastic body. But it takes many months of hard use to make that happen.

The swirly sharpeners! I still have one of those, too! That little cigarette-filter wiper was useless: I'd fill it up in hours; so I just used a puff of breath to blow off the point after sharpening. I was sharpening every minute or less throughout the work day; there was always a lot of graphite dust in my garbage can.

Before computers came along, I went through one of those every few months. They would wear to the extent that the sharpener would leave a little ball on the end of the lead rather than pointing it properly. I used to buy them several at a time.

If you have one, why are you looking for another? Is yours worn out?

You can find theme at any specialty art-store, the kind where community- college art/architectural students buy their supplies. The store may need to order it in from Staedtler.

Where are you located?

Reply to
Tegger

Hmmmmm. Got me there.

Reply to
Todd

A pulse

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd also love to hear. Maybe when I'm grown up?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My Dad bought one when I was maybe seven years old. I thought it was totally kewl. Still in Mom's cellar, hanging by the drawing board, I'm sure.

My drafting teacher used to always drone "use your eraser shield".

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Qualifications:

1) must be on a pension 2) must be a cantankerous old fart 3) must actually like people 4) must not need the money 5) must be bored out of their skulls 6) and, as Ed mentioned, a pulse

Disqualifications:

1) Gas
Reply to
Todd

When I attended a quarter of learning DRAFTING at University in 1965, I bought one of those miracle erasers by Staedler, the kind that 'lifts' off creating a long giant worm of rubbery dirty material. I still have it, still use it.

Also have one of those machine erasers that use the American type red rubber eraser, but it always rubbed holes in the vellum! I use it to twist cable wiring now.

Reply to
RobertMacy

On 27 Sep 2014, Todd wrote in alt.home.repair:

I was annoyed because the web site specifically said to call the store for availability, yet when I took their own advice and called, they just blew me off.

Reply to
Nil

I have had the same experience.

Reply to
Todd

Have you ever been to a WalMart? Have you actually checked out the employees? I'd never call and trust the answer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

RobertMacy posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

I have one, I used it on the erasable sepia paper. The white eraser didn't do it for that. Dietzgen made the paper.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

Make sure to get the thread direction correct. I used to design communications towers. I loved it when the Western Union sheets would come in an they would identify machine screws and have them drawn full size. Must have had a large drafting dept because different sheets would have images of the same thing. I guess they didn't/couldn't make seconds (copies). We would be using at a minimum of 1/2 bolts.

Reply to
Tekkie®