New roof

Time for a new roof here. The roof I have is a double layer. My parents had that done about 20 years ago. I can remember water coming in at the fireplace when it rained. I thought the rain was coming in from the chimney, but it turn out that the leak was where the chimney meet the roof. Since the plywood of the roof was not replaced at the time, I would like to have the plywood replaced at least at that spot on the house. It doesn't leak now, but the insurance company has noted the age of the roof and advised me to have it replaced.

What I am afraid of is what kind of rotting may have happened before the roof was recovered. How would something like that be handled when I get bids?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

When my roof was done a few years ago due to hail damage, the contractor said any decking that needed replaced would cost $2 per square foot, parts & labor. Not covered by insurance. Mine needed about 2 4x8 sheets replaced from old leaks. $90 total

Reply to
Retired

Any reputable roofer will tell you it will be $X per square foot. Just hope there are not too many feet needing replacing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, May need new flashing around the chimney as well. Removing two layers of shingles will cost too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's not a bad price. I have to re-roof soon myself and expecting having some repairs. Anyone, what type of plywood is standard? This is what HD has...

5yc1vZc7q5
Reply to
Guv Bob

Are you talking about the plywood or the rafters below the plywood?

If the first, it will be like Retired says below. If the second, you'll have to ask him about it before he starts the job. I suppose he'll want to go into the attic and see how much damage there is.

Have you gone into the attic to see how much damage there is? If there's no floor be careful you don't fall through the downstairs ceiling. In my case, despite living with a leaking roof for a few months, there was no real damage in the attic, only a sheet of damaged sheetrock on the 2nd floor ceiling.

4x8=32x2 sheets =64 square feet x $2/sq ft = 128. But he only charged you 90?? Oh, "about" two. Didn't think he'd put down part of a sheet, or if that is what you needed, charge you for only part of a sheet.

I wanted my townhouse and the one next door to get matching roofs, and we saved a little money also by getting them at the same time. I was up on the roof when the roofer, recommended by two neighbors and my girlfriend, pointed out to be plywood he thought should be replaced, one or two sheets, and a couple other sheets that were just rotting a little bit at the corner. For those, he took some "tin" and nailed it over the corner, substantially bigger areas than the rotting parts. Seemed to me like the right way to do it.

Same thing for my next door neighbor. My neighbor moved, his replacement moved, and his replacement was moving. and the home inspector said his roof was leaking and needed some new plywood. I'd think he was lying, except my neighbor and his wife ageed the roof was leaking. I can't imagine how since I was also on the roof after all the shingling was done and it looked just fine.

What did I miss?

Later today I want to clean a clogged spot in my gutter so I may be able tosee where it was reroofed. (The front of hte house, I can see the roof from the ground, but not the back of the house.)

Reply to
micky

Tony Is right about the flashing. You'll want new flashing throughout. New pipe boots should also be discussed.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I will keep those suggestions in mind. Thanks

Reply to
Seymore4Head

If a roofer was not doing that he'd be off my list. Reputable roofers don't want call backs so they do a good job from the start.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think it varies from $2 to 5$ per square feet depends on that what type of material you want? and how much complicated the work is? 'What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see'

stockbrokers