OT: Very OT. Just a weird question.

I'm sure that all of us have had a deja vu moment at one time or another, after all, it has a name. There is another type of mysterious occurence that probably has a name because I'm sure others may have experienced it.

Scene: I am sitting here in my basement at the computer. I have dual 17" LCD monitors, so the right one is here on the AHR newsgroup and the left one is on the web with a wiki site on the Falkland Islands

Nearby is the TV which was showing the Military Channel series on World War One.

As I am reading a sentence in the wiki article with my hearing monitoring the TV, I come to the word 'Propaganda' on the site. At the very instant I am reading the word, the TV narrator in the WWI series says the word 'Propaganda', just like he was reading the word from the web page with me. This has happened to me many times in the past with seeing and hearing the same word from two different sources at the exact same instant.

So, Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there a word for it?

Reply to
willshak

Yes.

Yes: "coincidence".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, but that's not a sexy French word. :-) I hereby christen it coïncidence étrange ©

Reply to
willshak

One of the weirder moments of my life was a few years ago when I was driving not too far from my house. I was passing a very small industrial park.

The car radio was on, but I was paying little attention. Then, the exact moment I happened to look at the park's sign, the radio said its name!

Adding to the coincidence, except for that one time, I've never heard that park advertise on the radio, before or since.

Schizophrenic break with reality? :-)

Reply to
Tony Sivori

It was the lord working in mysterious ways again, probably telling you to buy a lottery ticket. If you like military history stuff may I suggest,

Mr. Austerity

There are two words for it:

1 = coincidence, when the event is meaningless; 2 = synchronicity, as documented by writer Arthur Koestler (The Art of Creation, 1964).
Reply to
Don Phillipson

Don Phillipson wrote the following:

Ok, it's #2.

"Synchronicity is an explanatory principle, according to its creator, Carl Jung. Synchronicity explains "meaningful coincidences," such as a beetle flying into his room while a patient was describing a dream about a scarab".

willshak

Sounds somewhat related to serendipity, another fun word:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Ask yourself........... did he really say it, or did I just think he said it since I was reading the word? :-)

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Dementia?

Reply to
G. Morgan

No, he really said it at the same time. Just as in every other instance where it has happened.

Reply to
willshak

I already have that, but I like to give it a medical sounding acronym - CRS. Can't Remember Shit. The dementia will kick in afterwards when I can't remember what group I posted this in.

Reply to
willshak

veja du

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

How about you include all the times it did not happen? This is just selective memory on your part.

Reply to
Rocinante

snipped-for-privacy@i8g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

I was helping my dad and brother with a project they were planning.

Some folks can actually use technology as part of their social interaction.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Its quite common for siblings to have a form of ESP and communication. I most definitely think humans communicate on a shared neural network of some sort. A "global consciousness". Its real science, with real unexpected results:

Have you never felt that "something is not right" feeling... and you feel compelled to call, or go see someone right away...

... and you were right?

Reply to
G. Morgan

And some use it so as not to have to interact with others. I've seen people at social gatherings constantly checking their phones and texting others. Putting the phone on the table at dinner so it is always ready.

There are times to use technology, there are times to turn off the hones, turn off the TV, and enjoy the company of friends.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Riding down the road thinking of a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years. I looked in my rear view mirror and there he was pulling up behind me.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Well said - via a technology based medium.

I hope there are no friends or family around. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Friends that you haven't seen in 30 years pull up behind you all the time?

You must have had a lot of friends back then.

Reply to
DerbyDad03