Very OT - Waddle

People watching on holiday and noticed the vast number of slightly larger ladies and some teenagers whose legs sort of crank outwards below the knees. Usually associated with thick knees and shapeless legs. Gives a waddle as they walk from the knees possibly due to the thighs rubbing. Some men as well. Got talking to the wife and we remembered that at the schools the nusrse would see us once a year and our gait was looked at - perhaps as a sign of something serious. I reckon some of these odd gaits are going to cause serious medical conditions due to knee wear. From a mechanical perspective a straight leg is going to be the strongest.

I wonder if the medical profession take any interest in this?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

ALL the islamic *women* I have ever seen walk with their toes out.

Straight toes is very much a nordic thing.

Arabs dont ski...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes an item on hyper flexibility was on the Inside Health radio 4 prog this last week saying more or less that doctors keep treating symptoms not underlying problems of the body as a whole so a lot of these sort of things get missed due to the fragmentation of specialities and time constraints. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

not much snow in Arabia

Reply to
charles

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :

I have noticed that, I wonder why?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you mean fat bastards?

Reply to
ARW

They certainly didn't when I was at school (early 70s to mid 80s).

I have severely arthritic knees - to the extent that my consultant said that they need replacing, but that they won't do it at my age.

I have been told that it is because I have flat feet, which has meant 50 years of my weight being at the wrong angle through my knees.

Maybe if it was spotted earlier and they'd given me the shaped insoles that I have now, the damage could have been prevented.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker wrote in news:osj0do$j0o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I wonder what reaction parents would get it they take their child to a doctor about the gait?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Might that have been a check for rickets?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There is in Dubai. Shudder to think what the carbon footprint is though.

Reply to
Andrew

Flip-flop-itis

Reply to
Andrew

If you were at school in the early 70's you are far younger than my wife who has had both knees replaced. I think you need to check that out again.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Mark Allread wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I was referring to the 50's and 60's

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Eh?

Is 'DerbyBorn' also 'Steve Walker'?

Anyway if you started school in the 1950's you are *still* younger than my wife who started school in the 1940's.

Reply to
Mark Allread

No, it looks like DerbyBorn has replied to the "If you were at school in the 70's" bit rather than the full question.

I am 50 and it is being younger that is the problem. They don't want to replace them because they (assuming a normal lifespan) would likely need replacing again when the replacements wore out. They don't want to do too many replacements as there are risks associated each time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ahh yes, I see what you mean. I'm looking at things from the other side of the age divide :(

Reply to
Mark Allread