Bulkhead type light fittings

I hate the damn things - made worse now with LEDs. I want to see the effect of a light - not the light source! Seeing the source just makes everywhere look darker as you eyes try to cope with the bright source.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote: Yep, it's even been ruled Light Pollution because of the very extended glare. It used to be that the bulb was shaded so the light would actually only light its area. I tin-foil my bulbs after finding the light's stronger and covers almost twice the area.

Reply to
Iggy

Ali drink cans can be cut open to give reflective al sheet, this fits well into some light fittings, much improving output.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

With bulkheads I put ally foil under the cage or, if no cage, inside. My latest outside luminaire is the upsidedown-type lantern with a 120 deg.,

6000K, R63 LED lamp. It's actually visible from 30m away and slightly above, but not dazzling at all. I've since turned the bulkhead onto its end and used the same sort of lamp. This arrangement is also dead easy to shade with a miniskirt aroung the edge of the lamp.
Reply to
PeterC

This reminds me of the problem with some of those high pressure Mercury vapour streetlights they used to install. Plenty of light but everything looked like it was cardboard cut outs and the dazzle was terrible from the lamp. I thought bulkhead lighting was mainly for use in emergencies or in certain exposed outside places? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd say it is meant to be used where you can't fit an overhead light. Due to a low ceiling or whatever.

LEDs do make things worse as they appear brighter if viewed directly. Sadly, this doesn't translate into useful light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, like Xenon car lights to everyone else but the driver? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Doesn't the wife/girlfriend object to you raiding her wardrobe.

G,Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:oshhv8$mss$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

I was using a generic term Brian for the type of fitting that is basically a transparent box for a bare lamp mounted - typically around the walls of commercial buildings. The light just spills everwhere.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I recommend amber driving glasses, or clip-ons.

They conveniently cut out the intense blue of the 'cold' xenon lights.

Reply to
Fredxxx

"shaded bulhead fittings" are available

Reply to
charles

Reply to
PeterC

Not going to be much use for illuminating any working area?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lots of better choices are available - but I suspect electrial Contractors just fit what suits without much thought to light spread or pollution. Likewise domestic floodlights aimed horizontally so that 50% of the light is wasted.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

or even what the wholesaler has on offer.

Reply to
charles