OT TV sound volume for commercials

The sound difference was noticeable on my old set. I now have a new TV with Stereo sound. The change in volume is much greater. The difference is head splitting sometimes.

If there is, in fact, a law against the volume level for commercials, I guess we have one more law on the book that no one enforces.

Reply to
metspitzer

Futile. The industry has already greased the wheels.

If you want to make a difference, just cancel service. It seems the industry has a total commitment to find every conceivable method to annoy its customers. It's what they do!

Extinction is the best solution. So just cancel and help end the misery sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Cancel what?

Reply to
LouB

A dollar to a flyspeck the $ behind the ad industry would totally eviscerate such an effort. "It's All For Sale".

I won't have anything to do with 'em anymore. I'll tune 2 channels and flip when an ad comes on. And I keep a recorded that I'll replay when there are ads on both channels. Been doing this for years.

They drown us with deceitful garbage images/sounds. So long as it's their job to stick their "message" under the noses of everyone and their uncle when 99.99% of the audience want nothing to do with their product, there's little/no difference between the Nigerian that emails you offering $1,000,000 and the ad exec who books a super-bowl ad that -costs- $1,000,000.

Fight back, Puddin'

Puddin' Man

That discourages me from buying anything new.

I don't think there is such a law and they insist they're not doing it, although I'm not at all convinced.

This is not a new topic. It's been discussed for more than a decade, maybe much more.

I hate it too. Just one reason, sometimes I want to be able to fall asleep to the tv and the commercials wake me up. Sometimes even tne music between segments on NPR seems enough to wake me up.

I looked and found "Volume controllers" or something like that for sale. One was 10 or 12 dollars, one from Amazon about 26 dollars and one around 60. Maybe all of them from Amazon. I figured I'd buy the one in the middle. I hooked it up a couple months ago and I hear no difference. Without a convincing endorsement, I'm not buying the 60 dollar one.

It would be easy, no more than one more button on the remote control and maybe not even one, to enable two volume levels for televisions. One could raise the level and press Set, and that would set the higher value, then lower the level and press Set and that would set the lower level, and then just press Set to go from high to low and back. I think this would be a popular feature, but maybe the networks are paying or would pay the manufacturers not to include it.

I'm sure all radios and tvs continued to have AVC and AGC forever, whether they advertised it or not. It's an essential circuit, that takes as little as one or two parts. (For Sony that would be 5 or 10 parts. :) ) Other than maybe the digital ones. I can see why maybe it is not included in digital, where signal strength is not directly related to volume, iiuc.

I still like watching a show "live" even if there is nothing live about it. When I watch a copy that I record, I'm always going backward to hear some word I misunderstood. I'd sort of rather watch it live and just miss whatever I miss.

But I"m not always home and I do watch a lot that I've recorded, and then I mostly skip the commercials. Even that has it's disadvantages. I sort of like the commercials because I can relax, think aboutother things during them, if the sound were not blasting. WAtching an hour show in a half-hour can wear me out. (I even skip 30 seconds from when the 3 Jeopardy contestants are introduced to when the categories are shown. Alex says the same thing every day during those 30 seconds.)

Reply to
mm

I've heard various stories too, but have no idea of the truth. Sound though, is more than just volume. By tinkering with the tone and such, they can make the sound more noticeable. Some sows seem to have a quiet segment seconds before the commercial and then all of a sudden you hear "Billy Mays here with a new . . . . ."

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you dont have a DVR (I don't)........ keep the remote handy & hit the mute button......peaceful commercials. :)

Cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

you can buy a auto commercial volume control that will equalize things.

cable dish and direct tv just pass the content, they arent allowed by law to change the volume.

myself? we DVR nearly everything and skip thru most commercials on dish.

Reply to
hallerb

.>you can buy a auto commercial volume control that will equalize

Would you please post a site for that particular law?

Reply to
Sanity

Some tvs have compressor- limiters you can turn on, my JVC does, it helps a bit. There is a max volume advertisers are allowed and they compress the commercials dynamic range so it is all at the max, its a basic sound trick in recording. The regulation needs to be re written as to percieved volume, not what is measured in db. if you use a stereo on the tv some have their own compression circuit you can turn on.

Reply to
ransley

Won't help either. Some things in life do not, will not, change. It is not just volume, but the pitch and tone that make it sound loud. That is what the advertisers do on purpose.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe this will work:

or this:

G. Morgan

Oops... I missed that. Do you mean it goes on the audiovideo line level outputs of the satellite receiver?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That's how it reads to me.

Dan dangerous

Reply to
Dan Dangerous

In 1992 Magnvox introduced "Smart Sound" an automatic sound volume control. They still manufacture CRT TV's with it. I think there may be an updated version for the flat panel sets.

There have been some proposals for regulation of loud commercials.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas