OT; Volume

Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy & started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to plug them in?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Andy Burns
[bollocks why is backspace next to return?]

Not really, assuming you have a separate speaker connection from the PC/laptop to the screen?

If you single click the speaker icon on the bottom right of the taskbar you'll get an overall volume control, if you double click it you'll get several more individual volume controls.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If the suggestion for tweaking your system's volume doesn't do it (although it should), you can get USB speakers...as for where to plug them in, you get three guesses, but your first two don't count.

Reply to
Lino expert

Slider control in outlook Express(?)

Are you running some version or other of Windows? Is there a speaker icon on the taskbar near the clock? If not, go to start-control panel-sounds and audio devices and check the "put icon on taskbar" box.

Reply to
Graham.

Does the screen itself have a volume control? I have a couple of Belinea screens, and their volume control is non-obvious; it isn't on the on-screen menus. You just, when the menu *isn't* showing, press the UP and DOWN buttons...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, just power & connection.

Thats helped a bit, thanks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I expected more from the new Green Lantern....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bob, you are a genius! I buggered about with the previously untouched buttons on the front & found a volume function. Well done that man.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah but I have no need for such things with my X-ray hearing *strikes dramatic pose*.

Reply to
Lino expert

... and they let you near Ikea flat pack furniture with an unsheathed screwdriver ?

Reply to
geoff

No help to you I'm afraid but am I the last to notice that the iPlayer volume control goes up to 11? A nice touch from a Spinal Tap fan no doubt.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Dave - if you're watching quite a lot of films, it may well be worth your while investing in a system including a 'woofer' (bass speaker) and good quality speakers. I took the plunge on this a wee while ago and was astounded by the improvement - the base unit (has all the amplifiers in it) lives below the desk and the two small speakers on a shelf at head level. An Ebay buy for =A350 - Aego from Audio Energy, but I'm sure there are plenty of others around. Well worth the cash.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I noticed that a while ago...though not on iPlayer, but on the video inserts on the BBC News website...

Reply to
Bob Eager

That green & black uniform does look rather fetching - doesn't make your bum look big at all...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cheers, that'll be due to the patented "Trinny and Susannah support costume" for the discerning super hero about town.

Reply to
Lino expert

I still don't really get that.. maybe its because my TV goes to 100 and my surround amp goes to fifty? I don't think I have ever seen a volume control that only goes to ten.

Reply to
dennis

Well, you either do or you don't. It all depends on whether you've seen this.

Tim Downie

Sound card software other than the windose one? Control on the monitor itself?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you are over 50, chances are you are getting mild hearing loss.

Get a proper test done at loacal hospital/audio clinic.

My wife swore she wasn't even the slightest bit deaf, until the tests showed a response about the same as a person with ear defenders on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher