OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Page 4 of 16

Uganda is a bit more backward than us. They should take ours.

Then it should be ignored.
--
Ireland's worst air disaster occurred early this morning when a small two-seater Cessna plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish search and rescue workers have recovered 2826 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continues into the night.

On 2/14/2016 4:39 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Maybe we should use population as an indication? Would you like instructions on the how/when/why of *bowing*?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:47:40 -0700, Don Y

Who's to make that decision??? On what basis???

On 2/14/2016 8:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

(note the attributions)
I suggested we do it based on population. Or, age of recorded civilized society. In each case, China. Hence the reference to bowing... :> (there are apparently lots of rules/etiquette on the subject)

Why should we do that?
--
The biggest difference between sex for money and sex for love is that sex for money usually costs a LOT less.

And why is that??? Differing conditions in differing states may make what is sensible in one state totally unsensible in another. Road conditions, weather conditions, social sensibilities, etc.
For example "road trains" can make perfect sense in Nevada, where allowing them in California or Oregon would be total lunacy. - and the highway laws reflect that.

Agreed, but a lot of the laws that are different are not to do with differing conditions. They're things which are equal everywhere, like age of consent, smoking weed, etc.
--
Confucius say: "Foolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ."

On 2/13/2016 2:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Well, given that most of our states are bigger than your *country*, I guess it would be comparable to saying Brits, French, Danes, Swedes, Germans, Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, Austrians,... (you get the picture; I think I've named less than half the land area of the USA) should have the same laws, same language, same currency, same *leader*, etc.?
Given that Europe had a long headstart on these things (vs our ~300 years), you'd figure you'd already have ALL of that down pat, eh?
Good luck convincing the rest of the Continent!

Since the leaders are different, it's reasonable to have different laws. But you only have one president. By all means have different laws, but have different governments too.

So you're admitting you're just young uns?

Unfortunately we are beginning to go your way with the EU shit. They impose stupid laws which all the member countries have to abide by, although some seem to get away with ignoring them.
--
We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not compromised. We are associated, but not absorbed.
And should a European statesman address us and say "Shall we speak for thee?", we should reply "nay sir, for we dwell among our own people".
On 2/15/2016 2:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

We have 50 governors.

Yet you expect us to do the same.
On 02/15/2016 12:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The US is trying to set a new record from birth to third world country.

Agreed.
--
Two crows together is an attempted murder.

Here's a titbit of information. Americans say tidbit because titbit sounds rude. And you call us prudish!
--
Two crows together is an attempted murder.

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:52:32 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

No import duty on american built vehicles into Canada (or Canadian into USA) - just HST and perhaps AC excise tax

Saving a buck not putting the module in is more important than extra visibility.
On 02/12/2016 01:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, but you're in Canada. I don't know when DRL's became mandatory in Canada but they are not in the US. Some manufacturers installed them, some did not. My 2007 Toyota had them; my 2011 does not. Go figure. Since they are not illegal in the US I'm surprised they are not installed across the board.
On 2/12/2016 7:40 PM, rbowman wrote:

Different attitude towards "government".
I can recall demoing some kit for some "ministry" official (details long lost) in the mid 70's. They sent a car to fetch me. "Please fasten your seat belt" "Oh, no thanks. I find them too confining..." "It's the law." "WTF?? You can't make me... (hmm... best not forget who I'm talking to!) I mean, Wow, that's interesting!"

They were not installed on many vehicles for the US market because many people were stupid enough to NOT BUY the vehicle with DRLs just because it had DRLs. That was the result of marketting studies done by Toyota and others. So Corollas built in Cambridge for the US market don't get the module installed - or have the function dissabled in the BCU
Not sure but I believe the same is true of the Civic built in Alliston Ontario for the US market.

OT but my 2000 Solara has a driver's window that goes all the way down with one push, but requires holding the button to go up.
My friend's '99 Rav4 had a button that went up or down with one push, a year earlier, cheaper car, but better switch, IMO.

One touch "up" was "outlawed" because it was too easy for a kid to get caught in a window by bumping the switch.