OT: Customer forum for Nissan?

Anybody know of a customer forum for Nissan autos? I looked, but could only find paid forums, where they offer advice for a price.

I want to find out approx what a tune-up would cost for a 1999 Nissan Maxima GLE. (Major) (Minor), so I can go into the mechanic with some advance info. Car runs fine but is eating me alive on gas.

Thanks for any referrals to NGs or forums -- and opinions on approx cost. This is Santa Monica, not a cheap area, but I would go into LA or other nearby cities if I knew of an honest mechanic. (Now, now, don't laugh!)

TIA

Hypatia

Reply to
Higgs Boson

alt.autos.nissan alt.autos.nissan.altima alt.autos.nissan.maxima

What sort of "advance information" do you want to take to the mechanic? Fact is, there is really no such thing as a tune-up these days. Plugs can last 100,000 miles, computers control the fuel/air mix ratio, etc.

Do you suspect a problem? Has the mileage been better in the past? Has the air filter been changed? A good shop can run diagnostics with a computer, much like an emissions test to find problems. That can run $75 to $100.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Rec.autos.* hierarchy, or maybe the alt.autos.nissan group.

Reply to
aemeijers

On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:08:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote Re Re: OT: Customer forum for Nissan?:

Also alt.autos.nissan.z-car

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Ther isnt much to Tune Up on cars anymore, You get it put on a scope to see how it fires and have emissions checked, change plugs and air filter and anything else the tests show, poor milage maybe the oxygen sensor and a stretched timing belt, just my timing being retarded from a stretced belt was costing me 4 mpg. If its real worn it could be the compression, the tests and plugs maybe be only around 150, a minor tune up is plugs but testing on a good computer scan is needed for find all issues.

Reply to
ransley

aemeijers wrote in news:yJmdnbWf0eHffGTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

probably needs new O2 sensors;they get sluggish with high mileage. They aren't cheap,though.

alt.autos.nissan is a pretty low traffic newsgroup.

also try

you can download sections of factory Nissan manuals,one per 24hr period.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Xterraownersclub.

High volume site with real Nissan techs will be glad to help even though it is not an Xterra.

Reply to
Thomas

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I'm not in your area and generally prices are lower here. Have same car but a 2001. Dealership did this for about 170$ a bit ago. If your gas milage has dropped radically, it may be something else. If you use a dealership, they warentee the work and they definately have the right equipment to run the proper tests on a Nissan. Dealership will tell you over the phone what the rate is.

Reply to
cshenk

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I'm not in your area and generally prices are lower here. Have same car but a 2001. Dealership did this for about 170$ a bit ago. If your gas milage has dropped radically, it may be something else. If you use a dealership, they warentee the work and they definately have the right equipment to run the proper tests on a Nissan. Dealership will tell you over the phone what the rate is.

Reply to
cshenk

My reply didn't make it to the NG. Here goes again:

Yes, I suspect a problem.

Yes, the mileage has been better in the past; it must be so, because I am filling up more frequently with the same kind of driving.

No, the air filter has not been changed in 2 years. Thanks to you and others for mentioning this factor.

Thanks to all for pointing out my old-fashioned view of "tune-up"!

Yes, I will get a diagnostic test, and

Yes, I will consider (reluctantly) getting it done at a Nissan dealer right here in town.

Will post results if any.

Much obliged to all for help.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You can probably get a free computer diagnostic service from a local parts store. That would be nice to have before gong to the dealer. And maybe, just maybe they will tell you an oxygen sensor or similar is bad and you may get a wrench and change it. Actually a lot of the auto parts chain stores will install the part free if it's easy.

Then again, I'd guess a 1999 is probably over the 100k mile tune up point. Have you ever followed the service schedule?

Like was mentioned, definitely change the air filter first.

Reply to
Tony

I believe AutoZone will do that...

Reply to