OT: College is a rip off

Page 2 of 6
On 10/18/2011 12:39 PM, Steve B wrote:

So the child unfortunate enough to be born to a teenage single drug addicted mother, living in a vermin infested slum along with multiple siblings, without adequate nutritious food to eat, dwelling in a dangerous neighborhood without safe convenient affordable transportation to other neighborhoods, attending a local school filled with disruptive children who preclude any semblance of education in the classrooms and therefore grows up lacking the basic skills to progress academically is responsible for their circumstances?
Add pictures here
โœ–

Of course he never said that, although you do outline the decaying of SOCIETY rather succinctly.
โœ–

Nevertheless, if I have to believe my son-in-law, who teaches math in a paterson, NJ high school, some (more than you'd think) of even those kids seem to long for learning if it is presented with sufficient comprehension oif their situations. Two of his favorite T-shirts are "Sarcasm, just another service we offer" and "There are only 10 people who understand binary, those who do, and those who don't" (or something like that).
--
Best regards
Han

The T shirt is actually "... 10 kinds of people..." but if it was really accurate it would be "1" since 2 bits represents 4 states.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Oct 18, 4:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What would make sense is... "there are only 01 people that understand binary, those that do, and those that dont."
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:39:22 -0700 (PDT), RickH

No, it wouldn't make sense.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:19:23 -0700 (PDT), RickH

Better. ;-)
Add pictures here
โœ–

Anal: 2 = 0b10
nb
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:10:25 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If you ever worked with binary, 0 would be no and 1 would be yes. Why waste a bit?
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:51:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've "worked with binary" for over 40 years (fifty if you include grade school). "01" is not, in any way, a standard representation for two (decimal). Do you represent (decimal) 10 by using the symbol '9'? Why not? '10' wastes a digit'.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:02:27 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

9 is (decimal) 10 states. zero is a number.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:18:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I notice that you didn't answer the question.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:49:19 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If I want to represent TWO states, I only need ONE bit.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:53:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

But you're not representing only TWO states. You're representing the NUMBER TWO. There *IS* a difference.
...and you *STILL* haven't answered the question.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 10/18/2011 2:23 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Add pictures here
โœ–

Well, Peter. Let's be realistic here. Aren't most of the things that happen to people in their lives their own fault?
Steve
Add pictures here
โœ–

As much as knowing the odds in Vegas guarantees a winning bet. People don't exist in a vacuum...though that would explain a lot of your thinking. :)~
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-10-15/news/30282827_1_global-economy-corporate-profits-charts
โœ–
RicodJour wrote:

Sometimes the odd shift dramatically in the player's favor. That's the basis for card-counting at blackjack. In the main, however, I believe your observation to be correct.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 10/19/2011 4:02 PM, Steve B wrote:

things that they cannot control and/or understand? Most things that happen to people are the result of complex interactions of luck and their own actions. Accept that, work within that framework and you will be a calmer, happier, better person for it.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Like you? I don't think so. What is your field of expertise that qualifies you to advise the whole world on the "best" way to live life? My life experience is that people who cannot control themselves or understand what's going on are a special lot, and usually live in facilities near a strawberry farm.
Steve
Add pictures here
โœ–