Home many screws to hold a Hoover Vacuum together? (43)

Just spent an hour dismantling an older (~2000) Hoover vacuum, bagless upright type. Removed 43 screws to get it into small enough pieces to put into garbage pail and recycle bin. Kept the actual motor assembly. Plus, there were several snap-together fittings on the main body. Seems like there ought to be some way to use a lot less fasteners.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hmmm,

43 screws is nothing. I once took apart 15" CRT computer monitor built per mil-spec. More than 150 screws were on it for tight shielding.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony, you're telling the right guy about shielding :) My story is, I had a musical keyboard that had one broken key. So, I started taking it apart and after, I don't know how many dozens of screws and parts, I got the broken key out of the unit. I then called the manufacturer's repair/parts department to order the new key. I was telling the guy about the difficulties in getting to the key. He told me that you remove the key without any disassembly or tools. You just grab the front of the key with one hand, push down the rear end of the key with the other hand (finger), and then just pull it out. It worked. So before the new key came, I put it all back together sans broken key. When it arrived, it just popped in. The service guy told me that they NEVER take them apart that far. Oh well, lesson learned.

Reply to
Art Todesco

There are many small appliance with few screws. The problem is, once put together, they don't come apart easily and are often broken. I'll take the screw over a snap it arrangement.

An easier way would have been to put it out by the curb with a "FREE" sign on it. If that does not work, put a $10 sign and someone will seal it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

yes, buy chinese

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Saturday, me and a helper finished changing out a 7.5 ton scroll compressor in a condensing unit on the roof of a pharmacy. Within

10 minutes of getting the burned out compressor on the ground, a couple of guys in a red pickup truck stopped and swiped our scrap AC compressor from under our noses.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Engineers, and even retired ones, always keep the working parts, especially line cords, motors, fans, power supplies, etc.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I kept the motor/vacuum fan assembly in case my shop vac motor/vacuum fan assembly ever dies. Art and I worked together many yeas ago and we do keep certain items that you can't just go to Grainger and buy. Long vacuum power cords are especially useful when you need a long, but light-current extension cord.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Exactly. The one that I scavenged from a Hoover four years ago is still sitting under one of my workbenches :-) I seem to recall that one of the motor's brush mountings had broken, which was why it was junked - I fixed that and thought I'd use the motor/fan unit for something, then never have.

Stupidly, I ditched the rest, though. Two weeks ago, our regular house Hoover failed - one of the bearing packs at the end of the rotating brush assembly self-destructed, which then overheated and melted its way through the plastic carrier, which then made the brush assembly run out of true, which then threw the belt off-center until it shredded itself against the housing - little bits of belt everywhere being the first indication that something was amiss. It was an interesting little chain of self-destruction, anyway :-)

Thing is, I bet there were common parts, and my 'junk' Hoover used the same bearings and carriers. I can get the bearings online, but I've not found a source of the carrier yet (I think it was something like 5/8" ID and 3/4" OD, so if it comes to it I can just make something).

The moral is to never throw anything away so long as you still have enough space to swing a cat ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

LOL, definition of a key, please.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Have you tried Chinese made guitar lately? Dirt cheap, decent value for the money.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

How many fasteners used on the guitar???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, No empty holes with missing screw. My son gives guitar/drum lessons to neighborhood kids for fun. He got one to check it out B4 recommending it to their parents. Other than marginal electric components it is good for beginners without laying out lot of money like Timex.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ebony?

Reply to
krw

sure, but it doesn't pick up the cat hair when I vacuum

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Did you sing "HOW HOW ON THE RANGE" When you were taking that sucker apart ??

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Ohio-2