M20 Bolts, needed to hold my Christmas project together.

I am looking for a single M20x400 Bolt + nuts, as well as some M20x300 & M16x300. The Engineer has specifed these to hold my oak roof truss together (my Christmas project, SHMBO has not been home since before the oak took up residence in the sitting room - fireworks to come when she gets back and finds it).

Anyways, does anybody know where I should go to get such items ?

The on-line shops I have found are massivly expensive.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

M20 and M16 rod is available, which may be an alternative.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Can't you use studding and nuts either end?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks for the advice, rod would be fine, what type of place sell this stuff, do the steel stockholders have it ?

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Your engineer has overspecified by miles surely. 1/2" mild steel studding will generate a 5 ton clamping load. 10 tons if that's high tensile steel. M20 would hold a battleship together. Anyway, if the studding is in the right place it doesn't even carry the loads, it just holds the structural bits together so that they can carry the loads. All that holds a normal roof together is 4mm nails.

Ask him to justify his calculations. Or just ignore them and stick some 1/2" studding in there. Sounds like he doesn't have a clue.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Look under 'engineering supplies' (or similar) in your Yellow Pages or Thomson Local.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I'd imagine threaded stud rod, nuts and washers would be cheaper.

sPoniX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

You are right, the studding just holds the joints together. As I can't get a crane anywhere neer my place we are going to be lifting this stuff in with a tractor, winches on scaffolding and crowbars, so I guess the main load comes at installation.

I have added an extra 50% to the wood, as it just looked too small. I like my strutrial components to be too big.

I guess the high clamping load, expmains the huge washers I need.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Thought steel in oak wasn't a good idea due to corrosion? Of course with those sizes it would take a while...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have heard this too, but looking at the oak in the old roof, that fell down, after a couple of hundred years of neglet, the nail heads that poked out were much worse than the bits embedded in the wood.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

You don't need it. Anything that is putting so much force on a single bolt that it requires this size of metalwork is mis-designed. Your timber won't hold that sort of force over so small an area.

In the unlikely event that you are dealing with such forces, then it needs to be re-designed with more (and maybe smaller) bolts over a wider area.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The darned things are. Not sure I haven;t got a boxful of these somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be careful. The bolts may well be high tensile types, but studding is not.

This is not a place to save money IMHO.

ISTR a quid or more a bolt: Most builders merchants do em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:42:45 GMT, Rick Dipper strung together this:

Who begins with a W.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch writes

SHMBO: Sheer Hell Must Be Obeyed

Reply to
bof

As in 'She Hates My Body Odour'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am a member of DNA - National Dsylexic Association.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:06:59 GMT, Rick Dipper strung together this:

Fairynuff.

Reply to
Lurch

Don't you mean BDA ?...