OT: College is a rip off

I'll look for it.

I thought it was NOVA's "Dogs by Design." I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between the two. I think it was the one that had the border collie that could recognize and fetch 1,000 different dog toys by name - or by being shown a picture of a similar item. My dog can recognize about 10 different objects by name and if one's not available, she'll bring ALL of the others.

Reply to
Robert Green

Here's a simple method to measure a dog's smarts - fast. Tease it with a biscuit, then put it on the floor and quickly cover it with an opaque plastic bowl. My late smart dog wasn't fooled. If she couldn't nose the bowl over she'd smack it with paws until it flipped. With my 2 current dumb dogs, when the bowl goes over the biscuit, it has disappeared to them. No further interest at all.

My late smart dog was easily trained. Played in strings section of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra until she refused to put on her disguise any more. Just letting all know unless their dog can beat that I don't want hear their dog stories. Have to say "sit" twice for one of my dumb dogs, and about 4 times for the other. Love them all the same once they're house-trained. But my smart dog was devious and would play me. Out-smarted me more than once. Especially with crossword puzzles.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Your dumb dogs have outsmarted you, too. They've trained you to say sit two or four times. ;)

My dog would eat McDonald's fries but wouldn't touch Burger King fries. I stopped eating Burger King fries after that. Never had the chance to ask him about his take on the whole cholesterol and trans fat thing.

RicodJour

Many times I wish that was true (-:

"Fetch me some fries" Arf arf.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Good one.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

My little one is a nipper. Now I make her sit down first. She can't jump at my fingers that way.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

My favorite dog observation: If you think dogs can't count, take two biscuits out of the box and only give them one.

Regrettably our dog has trained us. I yelled at her for scooting her butt on the living room carpet. Now, when she wants my attention when I'm busy it's a veritable scoot-fest. She's been offered a job in the Obama adminstration. Hey, how bad could she be compared to some of them?

I managed to train her to whizz in one side of the dual slop sink and poop on an old 16x20 photo tray lined with newspaper. I cut up an old box fan grille so she doesn't stand in her own piss, although I probably don't need it - she's figured out how the sink slopes and points her head in the far corner and her butt right over the drain. When there's two feet of snow outside it's nice not to have to suit up like a lunar explorer just to empty the dog. You should have seen the beginning efforts when I tried to train her with both cat litter and dog litter. Terriers are instinctive diggers. You can guess the rest.

She's lying on the bed next to me, having one hell of a twitchy dream. We started letting her sleep at the very foot of the bad, and day by day she's advanced upward just an inch or two until she's within head-scratching distance. She apparently believes that crawling slowly forward is an acceptable exception to the "stay" rule.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Your dog is right. BK fries are NASTY. Dunno what the crap is they dip them in at factory, but they don't even taste like potatoes.

Reply to
aemeijers

That's the bottom line, they are happy. It is their life after all.

Our role as parents is to protect them, guide them, and nurture and support them while they are minors. Part of guiding them is letting them make mistakes that won't endanger them. However, once they are of legal age, our role changes. We should be sympathetic ears, providers of encouragement, and offer advice only when it is solicited.

Reply to
Peter

clipped

The magazine, "The Economist" always has loads of jobs for arcane fields in even more arcane locations...many for Africa...have always wondered who replies to the fields they advertise :o)

Reply to
Norminn

The roles can't change as fast as you imply. They have to start changing several years *before* "legal age" and often doesn't stop on a dime after. Very few, anymore, are independent at the "legal age".

Reply to
krw

I guess Daugher Number 1 takes after her dad in some ways - I spent 2 years in Africa myself. Daughter Number 2 takes after her old man in other ways,

Reply to
clare

I agree. There is a transition period that varies in length depending upon the parents, the child, and the cultural values affecting their beliefs.

Reply to
Peter