OT: Automotive question

Page 2 of 2

Rec.autos.tech
On 8/22/2011 3:13 PM, Dick Keats wrote:

IMHO, neutral start safety switch is hosed or out of adjustment. If there is also a brake pedal position sensor, that could be dead or maladjusted as well. If you can figure out where those are, you could jumper past them to get it started, and drive it to the garage that changed the cable. Those are the people I would, ahem, 'talk' to first. Sounds like they did a slapdash job for you, instead of checking all related components.
standard disclaimer- I am not a mechanic, but have oft been left bow-legged by them in the past. Ya learn a little along the way. And what the other guy said about rec.autos.tech is true, too. I'd ask over there.
--
aem sends...

shown up on the list (at least not on my machine).
AS A MECHANIC I would check it in the following way:
Locate the starter. Find the 2 wires connected to the starter - one big and one small. Check to be sure there is power on the big cable. Then check to be sure there is power on the little wire when the starter switch is in the start position.
If there is no power on the little wire in the crank position, you have a starter switch or wiring problem. With the vehicle in park and the key on, jump the little wire to the big wire and the engine will crank and start so you can take it to the repair shop. If there is power at both wires and the starter does not turn, the starter is FUBAR

Most shops guarantee their work for at least 30 days. Maybe they will tow it for free. Or, buy a AAA policy, then call them. Or, check it out yourself as per instructions from these guys. Or, get a shade tree off of craigslist to come to your house and fix it.
Hank <~~~~ out of suggestions now :-)

Have tried starting from all-positions? Make sure you brake and e- brake!