Powertools- what to look for?

Hi

I'm slowly building up my collection of powertools and getting my workshop in order. But I'm new at this and have found that after I buy a tool and use it for a while I discover features on other models that would have been very handy, and would of only cost a little bit more.

My purchases over the next 12 months will be a "Biscuit Joiner", "Drill Press", "a Table saw" and maybe, if any funds are left, "a Router table". I only have a limited budget and the workload on these tools would only be light to moderate.

What features should I be looking for in these tools? I wont ask about which make of tool as half the brands mentioned in this group I haven't heard of in Australia.

TIA Cheers Mark

Reply to
Mark

Good job on the joiner, DP, and saw. When they're procured, you can _make_ a nice router table. Buy the best you can afford, and it'll be easier to sell off something that doesn't meet with your expectations. Get a joiner with a good fence, and the same goes for the table saw. The drill press, I dunno, I like my JET 17-incher.Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

One thing I have learned is buy the best you can possibly afford even if that means not getting everything as fast as you would like. I bought a Delta contractor's saw first and later upgraded to a Unisaw. Buying the Unisaw first would have saved money.

For a biscuit joiner, I would get a PC 557. The DeWalt is also good but I prefer my PC.

I would get a cabinet saw or at the very least a good contractor's saw. The cheaper saws simply cannot stay square and therefore are a waste of money.

I have a Delta 17" drill press that has served me very well.

I agree with Tom that after the above is purchased you can build a very good router table. I did and love it still.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

If you can find used, it will cost less, and when it comes time to upgrade, you will break even or come close, provided it's a quality machine.

Reply to
ToolMiser