OT: Anyone else noticed the saturation coverage of Irene?

Page 1 of 2
In DC, Fox has switched to all day coverage and the other channels were forecasting damage just shy of the Apocalypse for the entire mid and north-eastern coastline. Did the recent earthquake scare them into "Killer Nature" mode? I need my Fox fix of Simpson reruns and NASCAR.
-- Bobby G.
On 8/27/2011 12:02 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I usually like their business discussions Saturday before noon but have switched to the Food Channel.
Not just FOX but all the local stations. I'm fully preped but they are scaring my wife. There should be some perspective.

"Killer
Devoting 24 by 7 coverage to it seemed a little excessive. We lost power for 15 hours or so, but no major limbs down and no flooding. That's north of DC. West of DC was barely touched. We had a record 12" in one day of very heavy rain and a tornado a few years ago. That was *real* bad weather, not a media event.
-- Bobby G.
On 8/29/2011 5:57 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Basically what happened to me. Only near flooding I had was when toilet sprung a pinhole leak in the shut off valve.

Public officlals are probably influenced by inadequate preparatios for Hurricane Katrina and icompetent relief assistance afterward.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Bob F wrote:

Deliver the mail and protect the borders. After it shows competence at those two tasks, I'd be willing to give them a go at something else.

To change it from within.

I've asked a few people and I think the over-coverage was mostly a result of getting caught so flat-footed by a 5.8 earthquake. Sort of like how they over-estimate the amount that will come in a storm because they under-estimated the last storm. And got caught flat-footed again.
Our local power company (Wash. DC) came under fire at the Congressional level (many have part-time homes here) because they had basically stopped preventatively pruning the right-of-way. They had been trying very hard to shift that cost to homeowners and local governments ever since deregulation. Two bad storms with really long recovery times (compared to national averages) forced them to do a lot of limb cutting recently. It seems to have paid off. I was back on the grid before the freezer hit 23F.
-- Bobby G.

How the hell do you NOT get caught "flat-footed" by an EARTHQUAKE? Those kinda just pop up out of nowhere without any scientifically measurable warning.

of
<<How the hell do you NOT get caught "flat-footed" by an EARTHQUAKE? Those kinda just pop up out of nowhere without any scientifically measurable warning.>>
I am not saying they did wrong, just that they were playing catch-up with the story as it unfolded. Most news bureaus have constantly update obituary files of famous people to handle unexpected deaths. In the same way news orgs have what used to be called "morgues" where you can pull up pre-researched "continuous" sorts of stories like the last blizzard, facts and figures, who to contact, etc. A 5.8 here on the east coast is SO rare that they could not help but be flat-footed.
I wasn't implying error, just unpreparedness which they overcompensated for by making Irene sound like the Four Horsemen of the Porklips were on their way into town.
-- Bobby G.

It's not something that happens every year all the way up the east coast.
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:18:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Live somewhere else.

sure beats a solid week of superbowl coverage
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:35:29 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Amen Brother! And let me add royal or any other kind of weddings to that.
Jim

I'll add Casey Anthony and all the other killers. And Michael Jackson, and.....
--Vic

Or months on end of Casey Anthony!
Harry K
wrote:> > In DC, Fox has switched to all day coverage and the other channels were

"Killer
Or royal weddings, Michael Jackson funerals, etc . . .
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Charles Krauthammer had an observation yesterday: "Earthquake, hurricane, Obamacare. When does it stop? Seven more and I vote we let the Israelites go."

It is a media feeding frenzy trying to build a fairly routine small hurricane into a natinal disaster. Lots of hype, near nothing for excitement or damages yet. I did see a couple trees...well, saplings that I could have pushed over by myself shown on the evening news. They reported a huge death toll so far....all of 4. I'll bet those were idiots.
Harry K

The kid sitting in his apartment when a tree branch blew in the window and killed him was an idiot?
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 00:15:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

No his parents were idiots for letting him sit by an unprotected window. I have hurricane shutters on my windows and we still stay away from them in a storm. They are tested to stop a 2x4 coming end on at 90 MPH but there is going to be bigger things than that flying around.