Options to finish wall and ceiling in garage

Page 2 of 2

Wow, a dedicated beer brewing house! I'm jealous.
Reading between the lines what you described (except for the brewing) was pretty much what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure if you were dancing around the issue because you were converting the garage to an illegal rental. It happens.
If the attic has no floor you're good to go with 1/2" drywall.
I am also wondering if I will need to install a fan forced air vent system? Assuming my correcting the soffit vents does not solve the problem.
The condensation is so bad it forms puddles on the ground in the spring. And the garage floor does not slope to a drain. I really think the garage was an old house at one point in time. This really stinks in the winter with snow. I kept a large squeegee in the garage last winter to push the melted snow out.

Hmmm. I just replied to Benick's post about the fire-rating. It's unclear from your posts whether the bathroom and heating is for the first floor, attic, or both.
You were asking about the garage and the work you were planning on doing in there, and made an aside about the attic over it. Then you mention working on adding a furnace and improving the ventilation. If you're doing that to make the garage habitable, you don't need a fire- rated ceiling. If the attic is storage space you don't need the fire- rated ceiling. If the attic has no windows, it is not a legal bedroom and not habitable in that sense. See my previous post for the definition of habitable space.
If you/yours are planning on spending time in the attic, and it will function as anything other than a storage/utility space, it probably would be designated as a habitable room. In that case, I agree with the B, and it would be better to be safe than sorry. Liability issues and all.
Funny thing - you could put a bathroom upstairs and the rated ceiling thing still wouldn't kick in as it's not considered a habitable room. It's also probably a remote chance that you'd burn to death while taking a shower, but, you never know. ;)

Code doesn't require 5/8" Firecode ceiling in a detached garage with an attic over it. Code only kicks in with the ceiling rating if there is a habitable room up there.
From the IRC: HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.
If there's no heating/plumbing/windows in the attic, it's not a habitable room as far as the code requirement.

Code doesn't require 5/8" Firecode ceiling in a detached garage with an attic over it. Code only kicks in with the ceiling rating if there is a habitable room up there.
From the IRC: HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.
If there's no heating/plumbing/windows in the attic, it's not a habitable room as far as the code requirement.
I was under the impression you were finishing the attic , if not 1/2 inch is fine.....You described the attic as a walk in with a window and I thought you were putting in a bathroom up there as you asked about MR sheetrock in a bathroom...How does one walk or store stuff in the attic with no floor ??? LOL....
There are boards laid down in the center to walk on.