Oil to Natural Gas Conversion Costs

Page 9 of 9
Robert Gammon wrote:

Right, the only time hydronic heat is likely to be replaced with FHA is when the owner also wants to add central air.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

When you provide links or other credible references that show nat gas is unsafe, unreliable, unclean and has a short service life, then I'll say it's based on fact, rather than emotion. I've had 25+ years of nat gas heat and not a single outage do to eqpt failure or lack of nat gas supply. I've lived in homes with oil burners that failed right and left over similar time frames. I've also provided you with many links that completely refute your claims. Other than you own assertions and observations, you've provided zippo to support any of your arguments.
I asked before, if nat gas is so damn inferior, why is it that it's continuing to gain market share vs oil heat and only 4% of new homes today use oil heat? Is everyone stupid except you?

Only according to you of course.

Whoppee de do! And what percent of people have requirements that need a backup generator? Again, in 40+ years, I've never had one or been in a situation that would justify it. What percentage of homes have backup generators, that also come with their own whole set of issue? I'd bet it's less than 1%, so why drag this into it?

More theoretical BS. In practice, 25+ years and I HAVE NEVER HAD A SINGLE GAS OUTAGE. You don't even have gas, so how the hell would you know how reliable it is? And again, where do you live that the nat gas system is so poor that outage is such a big deal?

Sure it can happen. And with your jaundiced view, I'm sure if there was a nat gas leak in Croatia, you would take note of it and chalk it up. While if you neighbors were out of power for 3 days, well that goes unnoticed. Or better yet, if their oil furnace quit in the middle of the night.

Yeah, so you do think everyone else but you is stupid. It figures. And in all my years, I never heard anyone say they are going with nat gas because it avoids buying foreign oil. They do it because it's either cheaper or competitevly priced, more reliable, burns cleaner, and avoids having any oil tank issues or delivery issues.
Note, I'm not saying oil heat isn't a valid choice for some people. If I didn't have nat gas available, I would probably use it too. But to claim that nat gas is unsafe or inferior is total BS, unless you'd like to supply some real world data.

Now it really gets silly. Everyone but you is so stupid they just fall for nat gas marketing? Or is it that only nat gas companies can do marketing? I hear plenty of radio commercials promoting oil heat.

You can't get away from the fact that despite all this, oil heat is available virtually everywhere. Anyone with a nat gas line passing their house can still choose oil if they like. Despite this, only 4% of new homew opt for oil. Yeah, I know we're all stupid cause we don;t prefer oil heat.

Yes we do have alternatives: showers and any other floor material. So everyone that has a tub or tile floor must be stupid too. Or is it marketing?

in 28 years here in Houston TX, not a single gas outage EVER. Electricity has failed, several times a year for a few seconds, occassionally a transformer will blow and we'll be out for a few hours. Longest service outage came during Hurricane Alicia where the eye came directly over the top of the house in the first year after it was built. Power was out for about 9 hours.
Live near a natural gas pipeline, within 500 yards. Live near a railroad that carries upwards of 30 trains a day (only one or two passenger trains) and that has had one or two significant derailments in 28 years. Never an evacuation here.
Natural gas is clean, and MORE reliable in delivery HERE than ANY other heat source!!!! Propane comes a close second. A quick web search turns up entries for folks that service the refining industry and not a SINGLE residential heat oil delivery firm. Course this is far from conclusive so I searched the 1200+ page local yellow pages. Only 9 entries and checking those out, it will be DIFFICULT to find a reliable supplier of home hating oil even here in the heart of the Texas refining area!!!!

Not just oil heat of course, but "Today's Oil Heat." "Heat is Warm. And inviting...Blah blah"
As if a 70 degree warm house heated by one source would be any less warm than a 70 degree warm house heated by another...
George wrote:

First there is no such thing as "big oil", those are big *energy* companies that are involved in nat. gas as well. The producers all have similar costs so logically the products they produce have similar costs. It is not some sort of collusion.
Energy prices are also high at the moment due not only to the middle east nonsense, but also due to the significant losses and costs associated with rebuilding the offshore oil rigs and the refineries severely damaged by Katrina. These are real costs that have to be recovered.

I think many is more accurate, not "most". I know quite a few people who only use gas for heating.

I've found price differences of better than $0.20/gal during record cold winters when the overall price was around $0.85/gal. I consider that to be a significant difference. You nat. gas suppliers also have to buy from the same source.

You're lucky. I've had no oil outage in 36 years and others within about a 10 mile radius have had to go to shelters during a multi day gas outage in the winter.

Good grief! You actually believe that? Nat. gas is indeed a petroleum related product. Those gas flares you see off the side of oil rigs are nat. gas that has been separated from the oil.
Pete C.
"Pete C." wrote:

Too bad gas service doesn't involve refineries.

Why do you think that so much electric production is being shifted from OIL to GAS? Hint: Price, Cleanliness, Reliability.

No, that is waste gas from oil production and is not the same cleanliness that you will find in a natural gas system plumbed to a house.
its natural gas that could be cleaned up futher for regular use, supposedly it isnt cost effective...
on the gas vs oil heat consider this.
A electric outage costs the power company little other than fixing what broke......
a natural gas outage costs a lot to the provider, turn off EVERY effected home then go back and turn every signle home back on, winter break in or pay for frozen pipe damage.
gas has a BIG incentive to maintain its infrastructruture well, electric doesnt really have that same $$ reason.
around here duquesne light historically waits till the transformer blows, resetting it thermal protection over and over to save a buck.
gas goes around replacing lines thruout their service area.
longest gas outage we ever had ZERO I am 49:(
Longest electric outage about 4 days after major storm, average outage 6 to 8 hours.. several times a year. mini outages nearly every day of a few minutes long. I gave up on my microwaves digital clock for this reason and keep my satellite DVR AKA TIVO on a UPS since it takes my DVR a couple minutes to reboot and its basically a computer...
Gas CARES electric doesnt although just recently duquesne light having drawn attention for unreliable service has promised to do better and raise our rates:(
John wrote:

You don't think it does? You think you just stick a pipe in the ground and run it to your furnace?
Think again, nat. gas does indeed get refined to remove a bunch of nasty impurities in the gas. If it didn't need refining to be useable offshore oil platforms would use the nat. gas they separate to power their generators instead of just flaring it off.

The points are that you think natural gas is not a petroleum related product and that there was a significant amount of oil based electric production in this country.
Electricity production has been shifting from coal (not oil) to nat. gas due to price (until they built all those generating plants and drove up the price) and political issues making it easier to build small nat. gas generating plants.

Um, it's the same gas, before the refining done to clean it up enough to be plumbed to your house.
Pete C.
"Pete C." wrote:

I wish.

What you are referring to as "refining" is removing impurities, or even separating off propane etc. I have heard of people with natural gas wells on their property (if I could be so lucky) piping it right to their house, with the right safety equipment.

That's because that is waste gas and junk, not the natural gas you'll find in a pipeline. Everything that comes out of the ground is not equal.

What makes you think I think that? Natural gas is not petroleum, but it is certainly related to petroleum at several junctures.

Well in 1973, as I quoted earlier, seventeen (17%) percent of electricity in the United States was produced from oil. Apparently you don't think it's significant. If 17% of the power in the USA just disappeared, I would call that significant.
You also said that nuclear electric production was lessening in favor of natural gas. In fact nuclear power generation in the United States has been increasing, with record power levels from 1997 on. This is in spite of the fact that there are less reactors in service today than there were in 1990. zp6a2

Yeah "political issues" like clean air.

Natural gas is not refined. If it was the same gas, it *would* be piped to houses.
Raw natural gas hasnt been refined seperating butane propane and other gasses. Raw natural gas s indeed used directly in peoples homes, know a fellow with a abandoned oil well on his property, ewhen they quit pumping it he paid some $ to leave the casing and heats his home and water with gas from this well, its at 5 PSI reportedly high for butler PA area.
since raw natural gas contains other gasses it has slightly more BTUs than refined gas.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Also, the same nat gas that is flared off at production sites is being used, at least in part, to generate onsite power. I remember seeing a TV program that showed how they were doing it. The problem with getting this energy from remote locations is that there is no economic way to transport it, which is why much of it is flared off.
But what does any of this have to do with nat gas heat being unsafe, unreliable, unclean, etc?

Nothing. I never said anything about unclean, just notably less safe and reliable than oil. Burning the "raw" gas from a well will indeed be far less clean than burning the refined gas supplied by a utility though.
Pete C.

Oil furnaces require more yearly maintence and Gas is used safely thruout the world.
Oil is generally used where gas isnt available/
"Pete C." wrote:

Funny, earlier you said that you couldn't have a hole in the ground (e.g. a gas well) and just pipe it to your furnace. Now you say that it is just "less clean." Actually the quality of the gas depends on the well. Gas companies actually use mass spectrometers to measure the content (and in the end the BTU content) of the gas that ultimately gets served to customers.

THE big problem with oil is that you require electricity to operate the oil burners.
Thus, your oil heat is no more reliable than your electric service.
Gas can be used for ventless heaters (if legal in your area) that can keep you quite comfortable without electric power.
But any "modern" gas furnace will also REQUIRE electric power. A "power vent" gas water heater will also require electricity but a natural draft heater will not. If you have public water, your water heater (believe it or not) can provide a significant amount of heat to your house from your kitchen and bathroom(s). It might seem silly now, but if you lose electric for more than 24 hours and it's COLD outside, having hot water makes a real difference in morale.
Finally, you might want to consider getting a gas cooking stove. Most cooks prefer gas over electric for stove tops. The gas stove can also provide emergency heat when the electric fails.
Because gas is so clear burning you might not notice any leaks which permit combustion products into your living areas. Thus it's a good idea to get a battery powered CO detector "just in case."