off topic: new car advice for senior

Page 2 of 16
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:42:41 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

The G and T are next to each other too - seems to be a theme here!!!
On 09/27/2015 10:09 AM, Muggles wrote:

Like Elvis and the Thunderbird, they've been packing on the pounds.
On 09/27/2015 10:09 AM, Muggles wrote:

When the Fiero first came out, I went to look at one. The saleman who had sold me a Firebird a couple of years before yelled across the showroom 'They don't make that in your size'.
On 9/27/2015 11:21 PM, rbowman wrote:

lol
--
Maggie

They always do. Twenty years ago, the Toyota RAV4 was a fairly compact jeep-like vehicle. Now, it looks like it's up in the mid-size SUV category.
On 09/27/2015 08:00 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

The first Toyota Corolla I saw was a tiny car with only about a 1-liter engine.
Perce
On 09/26/2015 11:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

You can tell a lot by the vehicle someone drives. There's a guy at work, he's about 4'-2" and drives a new Dodge Ram 3500. I think he's a cross-dresser.
On 09/27/2015 06:14 AM, Jack wrote:

We have quite a few Hmong in this area and they favor big pickups. And big rifles. I wouldn't mess with them, but it is sort of amusing watching them mounting up.
I go the other way. Back in the day people would see me climb out of my Sprite and wonder where it all fit. Actually, I found the Sprite has a lot more leg room than a Corvette.
On 9/28/2015 12:36 AM, rbowman wrote:

I wonder some times, with peoples vehicle choices.
As to advice for seniors: Drive several at the dealer lot, and choose what feels right for you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/26/2015 8:01 PM, Muggles wrote:

and safety of the vehicle that hauls you around town?
Find something that is affordable and comfortable. If you want to be "cute", put a big red bow on the front grill. Or, "eyelashes" above the headlights. Or, a *tail* curving up over the back of the car from the rear bumper.
(seriously -- I have seen all of the above)
It will make your car more memorable (to you and others), won't cost you much, won't alter the value, reliability or safety of the ride, etc. A photo of a local vendor who is known for their crazy cars: <
http://everydaychildhood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/trulynolen3.jpg
Look carefully at the front end details...
On 9/27/2015 12:14 AM, Don Y wrote:

No money to burn and I do care about reliability and safety.

I haven't bought one, yet, and I've looked at bunches of other brand cars, too. Haven't found one for the right price with the right options that had comfortable front seats, etc.

I've seen a few of those, too.

Can't a Beetle be reliable and safe?
--
Maggie

On 9/27/2015 12:07 PM, Muggles wrote:

Beetle does have a good safety rating. Can't speak for its reliability, but there are no really bad cars these days. Some better than others, all better than cars made years ago.
On 9/27/2015 3:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's good to hear about the safety rating.
--
Maggie

On 09/27/2015 10:07 AM, Muggles wrote:

The reliability ratings haven't been that great but the ratings themselves can be unreliable. 'The bud vase is crooked' gets the same weight as 'the transmission dropped out on the pavement.' The Golf is the same platform and has better ratings leading some to suggest New Beetle drivers are pickier.
On 9/27/2015 11:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

I hear good and bad stuff about every car I've considered buying. <sigh>
--
Maggie

On 09/27/2015 11:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

My last three cars were declared to be absolutely something to be avoided by Consumer Reports. I would have bought another Geo (rebranded Suzuki) but Suzuki's car business was fading fast by then. I did buy another Yaris after a snowplow ate the first one.
Maybe I'm easy to please. I've only owned one car I was dissatisfied with, an Audi. To be fair, that was back in the '70s when Volkswagen was trying to figure out how to build a front wheel drive, water cooled vehicle.
On 9/28/2015 9:12 AM, rbowman wrote:

I'm easy to please, too, I think. I love my van, but she's getting old. My kids were raised in that van and there's lots of memories there, too. My son and hubby keep telling me to get another vehicle, but so far I haven't found one I could afford and LIKED at the same time! lol
--
Maggie

One of those Audi 100s that punctured it's own tires when you parked them overnight (when the springs broke)?
We had one sitting on the lot that destroyed 3 tires before it was sold.
I owned a Pontiac Firenza - a rebranded Vauxhaul Viva HC - everybody said they were junk - "any f'rez'a yours aint no friends of mine" so I got it REAL cheap. Friend was going to trade it (1972) on a new Lada the first year they came to Canada - 1979 - so the Firenza was only 7 years old - and it was a "leftover" '72 - sold late in '73, so it was rally only six years old - and they were only going to give him $75 for it with about 40,000 miles on it ( friend's wife drove it between London Ontario and Kitchener going to teacher's college).
I bought it from him for something like $76 - and I still had it when he was on his third Lada. I sold it to my new wife's friend/neighbour for a few hundred dollars and she drove it another 7 years.
Parts were dirt cheap and available from GM dealers across Canada. Clutch pedal broke (cable clutch) and a new one was something like $6.00 - less than it would have cost to have it welded.
On 09/28/2015 08:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It never did that. The plug wires would fail every 15,000 miles. No graceful degradation, it just wouldn't start. I kept a set in the trunk. Getting the windshield wiper to turn off sometimes required pulling a relay out from under the dash. It wasn't really the cars fault, but it had Autobahn gearing right about the time the idiots in DC declared a 55 mph speed limit. Then it overheated one frosty morning. I guess antifreeze was optional. There weren't any major problems just the water torture of minor annoyances.
When we divorced my wife got the Audi and I kept the Lincoln. I shouldn't have treated the woman so poorly. The paint was starting to fall off before she traded it in on a Rabbit and got $300 for it. She called me up and asked if that wasn't too low. I told her to take the deal and not look back.
rbowman wrote:

Now Audi has self destructing timing belt at 60K miles...?