ants

Ants are in the bathroom and a few in the kitchen. What do they want in the bathroom? There aren't any turd or pee around so it is a mystery. Anyone know about this?

Reply to
Esperaunce

Water. Ants are attracted to sources of water, which is why you so often find them in the kitchen and bathroom around the plumbing fixtures.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 10:57:45 -0700, Oren wrote in

CRNG

Figure out what they eat and bait them. That is the best way to get rid of ants. If they eat sugar, Terro will get them. If not you may have to get creative. Mix boric acid 12-15 parts food to one part BA.

Reply to
gfretwell

Syrian refugees. Obama says you have to take 20,000 of them, this year.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Damp wood? Anythning leaking? Otherwise they are just indiscriminate foragers.

Reply to
clare

If they're small ants they're probably swarming and will be gone soon, but that's usually a May- June thing.

If they're carpenter ants they're a warning. Carpenter ants live in wet, rotted wood. They can't chew good wood. So if you have big ants then look for what's rotting. Water coming in from outside? Water leaking through the shower walls? Many people think carpenter ants will attack wood and should be killed. That's not true. They're an early warning system. If you fix the rotted wood they'll leave.

Reply to
Mayayana

Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with eggs). I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

Reply to
gfretwell

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They | were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with | eggs). | I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out | front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things. I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere but in wood. Either way, there's no need to kill them. They live on dead insects and debris, doing no harm.

Reply to
Mayayana

| Not necessarily. I found them living in just about any dark spot. They | were even in a plastic diskette box (a hundred ants or more with | eggs). | I didn't stop them until I found the mother ship in a flower bed out | front. A splash of chloradane in a bucket of water made them die.

It sounds like you just like to kill things. I've never seen carpenter ants living anywhere but in wood. Either way, there's no need to kill them. They live on dead insects and debris, doing no harm.

He's a satanist, just like some others here.

Reply to
Esperaunce

When your wife moves her pillow and 20 big assed ants scurry across the bed, you kill the ants.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you don't mind bugs in everything around the house, go for it.

Reply to
gfretwell

| When your wife moves her pillow and 20 big assed ants scurry across | the bed, you kill the ants.

I would have thought it'd be a better idea to get up off the ground and go into the house. But it sounds like the two of you were probably having fun, anyway. :)

I've dealt with a lot of carpenter ant nests in wet, rotted wood. I've never seen them come back. There's nothing of interest to them inside a house.

Reply to
Mayayana

Maybe they weren't really carpenter ants. I never saw their union card. They were the really big ants. The bottom line was we tore that room down to the block in a remodel after that and I never found a bit of water damaged wood. They had satellite nests set up with eggs in any dark spot they could find.

This is Florida and ants are everywhere. They are a lot tougher to kill than the northern ants, based on what I read people say. I haven't seen an ant that would eat Terro or Amdro in over 2 decades. These guys are very selective. The last batch of tiny ants I had would only eat chili, not just the beef or anything else I saw them walk past. OI caught them all over a little drop on the counter and I made "chili bait" they are gone now. I had been fighting them for over a month and I could not figure out where they were coming from or what they would eat.

I suppose ants all over the kitchen counter for a month would bother you enough to get rid of them?

Reply to
gfretwell

| I suppose ants all over the kitchen counter for a month would bother | you enough to get rid of them?

Actually I had "sugar ants", the little ones, in the kitchen this past Spring. But they only got on the counter if it wasn't kept clean.

They don't really bother me. For some reason they explore in Spring. (They even got to the second floor shower this year. I'm guessing it was some attractive soap smell that fooled them into thinking there was sugar there.) But after a couple of weeks they disappear again. In my former residence they used to come under the back door, through the bedroom, into the kitchen, and up the side of the rubbish barrel. Every Spring. Spiders would actually set up shop temporarily along the route, making webs between floor and baseboard. But they never stuck around, so I didn't mind.

It's true, though, that I don't know anything about Florida ants. Here we have sugar ants, and anything bigger than 1/4" is a carpenter ant. Seeing them in the house just doesn't happen unless there's rotted wood. Even then they're usually visible outside rather than inside. I've only ever seen one lost ant at a time indoors.

About the only thing I ever see indoors is occasional silverfish and, more recently, stinkbugs. They're a recent import. Of course there are always a few spiders, but as long as their webs don't block the TV screen or span a doorway we get along fine.

There's a type of spider we get in the cellar here that's especially odd. It looks like a daddy long leg, but with an oval body instead of round. When someone gets close they do a strange defensive "dance", somehow vibrating their bodies so that they swing back and forth at high speed in their flimsy webs. Maybe someone else knows the story behind those spiders?

Reply to
Mayayana

Like I said, I have not seen an ant that would eat sugar for over 2 decades.

These guys lived here, setting up shop somewhere inside the wall. I never did see one anywhere else, coming and going from anywhere.

We get lots of spiders, I don't mind but my wife does/

These ants had eggs, they were not just passing through.

Dunno. We have the giant "wolf spiders" and crab spiders that build webs high up in the screen cage. There are also smaller jumping spiders that live in a little hole or crevice and jump out to eat a bug.

Of course we have the giant American cockroach that our state is known for (palmetto bug) but they are very easy to control

We also have plenty of snakes, lizards, tree frogs and other reptiles but they don't bother me either.

Reply to
gfretwell

I hada ant problem years ago. i sprayed then sealed the crack they were using to get in the kitchen around a window.....

maybe 6 months later i made some frozen waffles they were yummy good.....

i happened to look into the bottle of syrup that i had just put on my waffles. whats floating in the syrup?

gag, ants flooating in the syrup. i tossed the bottle..

yuk

Reply to
bob haller

Armadillos work. Want some?