Tumble dryers? Off topic

My tumble dryer is tripping my new fuse box off, when I press the start button it throws the trip for the whole house. I have tried it on the house circuit as opposed to the extension circuit and it does the same thing. Nothing has happened to cause this that I can think of except it was running as I turned the sockets off to do some work.

Any ideas?

Anon

Reply to
anon

Yep, it has a fault. Current is leaking from the live bits to earth - so not all the current that flows in the live wire is returning on the neutral wire - so the trip, trips.

Which is the protection stuff doing its job - without it, the current could have been leaking through you..

Basically, AFAIK, there still isn't a lot in a tumble drier other than a heating element, a motor and capacitor and a timeswitch. So, it may easily be fixable by a DIY person who knows how to use a multimeter. It could cost as little as a tenner in spare parts - or could cost more than the drier is worth..

One scenario: Depending on what work you have been doing, you could have added something which is also leaking a bit of current to earth. The drier was maybe leaking a little, but not enough to operate the trip. However, now, the drier + the extra leakage is enough to trip it.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thanks, I think it's easier to buy a new one. :(

Reply to
anon

Get it Portable Appliance Tested (PAT)

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Doesn't one have to have a C&G cert to use one of these correctly/safely?

Fluke

Reply to
fluke

No you just need to know what your doing!

Reply to
John

Rarther pointless the RCD has done the test already and tripped !

Reply to
powerstation