Basically, the drum was turning but there was no heat. I quickly discovered that the element was dead (open circuit) so bought a replacement.
Disassembly was easy and I carefully (I thought) noted the wires that I removed to get at the element.
I replaced the element and switched on - the machine started and quickly started to heat (great job I thought).
I switched in on and off a few times and then the RCCB tripped. Disconnected the dryer and the RCCB could be reset. Powered on again and it tripped. Left for a while and I could start the dryer again but it soon went through exactly the same cycle.
The bit that is bugging me is that when I reassembled, I noticed that my careful drawing was missing one of the wires that I had removed.
Its a black one that comes from an oval device (possibly a fuse). From its length I guessed it must connect to the element, so I connected it to the same element in common with a black wire coming from the depths of the machine.
This means that the contact of my element are connected as follows
Common Return - Blue wire that goes to neutral via circuit breaker (100% sure this is correct) Feed 1a - Red wire from depths of machine (100% sure this is right) Feed 1b - not connected (100% sure this is right) Feed 2a - Black wire from depths of machine (95% sure this is right) Feed 2b - Black wire from oval device connected to back of machine (not convinced about this)
I've had a look at spade contacts on the old element and from the scratches I sure this only had three wires connected to it which bears out my theory.
But I can't imagine where the extra black wire goes.
I would be really grateful to hear your ideas and suggestions.