not all despot workers are idiots

Here's to the guy at the despot today that

a) opened up a new case of 20A GFCI outlets for me

b) showed me how these boxes with the flip up and down wings that snug up against existing drywall are intended to be used (never seen em before)

c) gave me 2 feet each of 12 gauge solid copper black, white, and green wire for free. (needed to make some pigtails) Looked both ways and said put this in your pocket.

an older guy who even though he just happened to be walking through electrical when I asked him for help had enough of a clue to get me what I needed.

we're not doomed quite yet ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

I guess that makes up for the young new floor worker who I asked for help in finding a nail set. He gave me a derisive look and said, "Sir, they don't come in sets, you have to buy them by the pound."

True story. He wasn't there today --

Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

I have often wondered if the decline in what HD likes to call the "Wisdom of the Aisles" is partially due to the surge in real estate activity in the last few years. It seems that people have decided that the only thing worth investing in is real estate. As a result there is construction going on on every patch of open ground, demolition of old houses to make room for more new ones and expansion and renovation of existing houses.

I have always assumed that when you find an experienced tradesman working at HD it's probably because there aren't enough construction jobs to go around. With the boom that I see, at least around here (NYC), fewer skilled people are looking for work at HD.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G

I knew that old bastard was giving stuff away.

Guess whose getting fired tomorrow?

Reply to
Matt

Isn't it possible that some of the people working at HD and Lowe's are actually very knowledgeable but no longer able to work as plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc., because of injuries they sustained?

One guy who was (maybe still is, but I haven't seen him there lately) working part-time in the electrical dept. at our local Lowe's is an electrical/electronics engineer who was until a year or so ago designing dimmable fluorescent lighting systems for an office furniture company that has been hit by the downturn in the economy.

Perce

On 05/05/05 08:21 pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

What a dummy. He should have know nails come in boxes. ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That used to be a bragging point for the store. As the number of stores expanded, the numbers of knowledgeable help per store dwindled.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How do you get an engineer's attention?

"HEY WAITER!!"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK heres my HD idiot story......

I was a service rep for a staple gun manufacturer servicing HD stores. I was cleaning up our display when the employee in the tool corral brought a customer to me with one of our staple guns in his hands. The employee states that the gun is jammed. I said just give him a new one and I'll give the store credit.

The employee then points the gun at his face so he can see why it's jammed. I could see his fingers tighting around the handle to fire the gun!!!! I said DON'T SHOOT THAT TOWARDS YOUR FACE! Well he did and he is lucky it was jammed. He did this twice and spent 15 minutes trying to un-jam the gun. I finally handed the customer a new gun while the HD idiot worked on the old one.

AZCRAIG

cm