New washer

Page 2 of 2

Likely a top loader. The energy savings comes by using a thermostatic control on the water limiting the amount of hot water (expensive to heat) that is allowed to mix with the cold. All new detergents work just fine with cold water. So there would be no difference in cost to operate if only cold water is used. Tom.

Likely a top loader. The energy savings comes by using a thermostatic control on the water limiting the amount of hot water (expensive to heat) that is allowed to mix with the cold. All new detergents work just fine with cold water. So there would be no difference in cost to operate if only cold water is used. Tom.
Do you value quiet? More expensive machine may be quieter. COnsumer Reports rates washing machines a couple of times a year. CHeck out reviews at the library for bargains.

<< Simpler is demonstrably better when it comes to reliability. The low cost and mechanically simple Roper washers and dryers have the lowest repair rates according to Consumers Reports. >>
I'm glad to hear you say that. At the time I was kinda bummed about not being able to afford a fancier washer, but that's just that much less to go wrong. Right? :-) Either way, we're really happy with our basic washer. I hope it goes another 9 years!
<< Do you value quiet? More expensive machine may be quieter. >>
Good point. Our "basic" Whirlpool isn't very quiet, but we're lucky to have an honest to goodness laundry room that we can shut the door on. <g> But the more expensive models might generate less noise.