New regs to make furnace replacement more expensive

zz

Both BP and the compounding pharmacy in MA were under the regulation and inspection of govt. The federal govt in the case of BP and both the fed and state govts in the case of the pharmacy. So, clearly significant events still apparently occur with or without govt regulation. And no one died in the river fire.....

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@eo2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...

snipped-for-privacy@f17g2000vbz.googlegroups.com...

wn to 40" not 35

Thanks for the info. Goodman is a lot more lenient in their reqts than Rheem. The Rheem manual I have limits vent pipe runs to probably half of what Goodman allows. And there is no mention by Rheem of using an existing unused chimney. I still wonder what an inspector would say about such a long run of unsupported PVC vertical pipe. I guess if you properly secure it at the top and bottom, it would be OK. The biggest road block is probably a remaining gas water heater that could be venting through the same chimney. I guess you could potentially replace that with a power vent type and if the run is within limits and it will all fit, use the chimney to run that too. There is also the issue that for the allowed run lengths, you'd have to stay at or below 70,000 btu to use 2" PVC. Above that you'd have to use 3" to make it to chimney length. And getting two of those in there could be a challenge in some cases.

Reply to
trader4

I fully understand you have a filter which only allows you to consider one point of view and everyone else is stupid. I still don't get what you hope to accomplish by behaving like a 10 year old with the name calling.

Reply to
George

A friend had their new house built with ICFs maybe 5 years ago. I went there to see them do it. You feel like you are in a bank vault and their energy use is really low. A family member who is a contractor has had poor results selling the idea. As you noted customers go for the "shiny stuff".

Reply to
George

ng.- Hide quoted text -

Excuse me, name calling? What name exactly did I call you? YOU on the other hand just called me a ten year old and accused me of extreme right wing thinking, just because I think citizens are smart enough and should have the freedom to choose the furnace they want without govt forcing it on them. Yet YOU accuse me of considering others stupid? You are one of the folks here claiming people are too stupid to choose a furnace that makes economic sense for them and they need guys like you to do it for them.

In fact, all you appear capable of are general vague accusations, which is all you're left with since you have no refutation of the facts that I have given you repeatedly.

Reply to
trader4

But you just don't understand. The extremists think that somehow for some unknown reason the "free market" folks are above the centuries of examples of bad human behavior and will never do anything dishonest or cheat for personal gain or as you noted pollute just because it helps the bottom line.

Reply to
George

Weren't a number of regulations passed after we learned what the result was of letting the "free market" work out dumping whatever they wanted wherever they wanted it? Should we remove those "burdens"? Polluted wells and water supplies and high incidences of cancer really aren't a big deal.

Reply to
George

Nothing is perfect. Our current system evolved because even though you will find it hard to believe we know that there are amoral people who will do anything for a buck.

So we try to strike a balance and have a reasonable amount of regulation. No system is perfect. Mt niece is a pharmacist and I asked her about that compounding pharmacy and she said they had gone beyond the scope of their license. Clearly we can't station an inspector everywhere but it is silly to infer that all regulation is ineffective. Human nature is not this simple thing with no shades as you imagine.

If you want to change it why not get the other few percent of the population that believe all people in business are totally honest and absolutely no regulation is required and get out and vote?

Reply to
George

But you just don't understand. Somehow the libs think that just one more law, one more regulation, one more govt agency, is the solution to anything and everything that isn't right in the world. The fact that despite all the regulations and regulators we have we still have BP, the housing bubble, the pharmacy problem, etc suggests it isn't that simple.

And you want to extend that heavy hand of regulation to a guy who has the freedom to choose between a 80% and a 90% furnace. A non-existent problem, because the vast majority of the market for furnace replacement is already choosing 90%+ where it makes economic sense for them. I'll say it again. When I went out for quotes 2 years ago, not a single vendor mentioned or quoted less than a 90% furnace. And I'm in NJ, not MN.

Do you believe the EPA lie that eliminating furnace choices less than 90% for new installations in northern climates is going to save 20% of total energy usage? Conservatives see this crap and know that it's pretty much a non-problem. But it does create more federal employees coming up with dumb ideas and enforcing them. And when they are done with your furnace, they don't go away. They hire even more employees and find the next thing to regulate that doesn't need regulating.

Reply to
trader4

and the conservative answer to this is to have less regulation which will make all the BP problems magically go away, somehow incentivize bankers, mortgage brokers and real estate agents to somehow suddenly tell people the truth about the house they want to invest in and that pharmaceutical companies will never, ever rush to put a miracle drug on the market or never human test it on third world citizens who have no idea what they are agreeing to (if they are even given the choice)

it's worked so well in the past, hasn't it?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

by agencies hamstrung by budget cuts.

The federal

the bp significant events occurred not by accident but by the insistence/necessity to make the well produce as quickly as possible (which is a good thing) by overlooking/ignoring some safety protocols (which is a bad thing)

1) no direct deaths 2) do you think all the crap being dumped in the river had no negative environmental/health impacts?

3) find it telling that you ignore the deaths on the BP platform

4) find it telling that you ignore the environmental impacts of the BP oil spill 5) find it telling that you ignore the financial impacts on both the river fire and the oil spill
Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

In MA and under Obama... how could that possibly happen in Liberal Nirvana and under the O-ster??? (Compounding pharmacies are mostly under state supervision. FDA has only had moderate input to them since the initial Act LONG (like several decades) pre-Bush. I find it interesting that when government regulation manages to screw up, there is always some explanation.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

certinally the lack of regulation of mortages was wonderful:) Till greed took over and killed our economy:(

Reply to
bob haller

Some people are too stupid to make intelligent choices and need to be enlightened. Take incandescent lighting, for example. We had to ban the manufacture of the 100watt energy hogs so that people would be forced to make more efficient lighting choices. Thankfully today, we are all better off because of a forward-thinking government.

Reply to
Lefty

a republican congress that thinks there is too much regulation and cuts budgets, how else?

thank you for making my point

and that explanation is spelled r e p u b l i c a n

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Lack of regulation? Fannie and Freddie were right in the middle of the whole housing bubble. They were govt backed and supervised agencies. Barney Frank himself pronounced them as solvent and OK just weeks before they went under.

And let's not forget that govt regulations encouraged people to invest and speculate in real estate. The mortgage interest is tax deductible, as are real estate taxes. And if you live in a house for just a few years and you sell it at a profit, up to $500,000 is exempt from tax. So people do exactly what the govt is incentivizing them to do and when it results in a bubble, nobody looks at the above as a direct cause.

Then we had the CRA, that put ever increasing pressure on lending institutions to lend money to minorities, credit worthy or not.

We have the Federal Reserve, which controls the banking system. They have a huge budget and thousands of analysts. They track everything from the price of bread, to manufacturing output. And one thing included in that is HOUSING PRICES. They knew damn well that housing prices had doubles or tripled in many places, creating a dangerous bubble, yet they didn't lift a finger to do anything about it.

Not saying that a lot of shystering didn't go on in the private sector. Only that govt was eyeballs deep into the whole mess too and it's not clear that one more regulator or regulation would have prevented it.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, that's another fine example. People were already using CFLs where they chose to and where they believed they made sense. Does it bother you so much that I have a shed that's unheated and I put a 100W incandescent bulb in it? How about I come to your house, find something you do that I don't approve of. Go on vacation to Disneyland? Why.... what a waste of energy that is. Let's limit that. Let's also start rationing gas, so that people don't take joy rides to the mall. All for the greater good, right? And let's stop selling soft drinks that are bigger than 16 oz, like the imbecile Bloomberg did in NYC. All that's good too, eh?

As for being better off with a forward-thinking govt, we now have increased federal spending by 40% since Obama took over. That's right, we're spending 40% more. And with the economy recovering, we still had a deficit for the year just ended of $1.1tril. The national debt is now at $16tril. That "forward-thinking" has put us on the path of Greece. But, sadly too few people realize it.

Reply to
trader4

I am old enough 55 to remember the time before safety belts, padded dashboards, air bags, automatic shut down vehicles when in accident, crushable cars to protect the occupants, when my impala averaged 13 MPG tuned up..... 9 or 10 mpg if it needed tuned

certinally all the laws that required these changes cost $$ and didnt allow a opt out. but arent we all better for them?

I love the laws banning smoking in near every public place, because I HATE THE STINK, and feel anyone smoking in a vehicle with kids should be charged with child abuse because thats what it is!.....

do note I know a couple that both have lung cancer their 16 year old is going to watch both mom and dad die from smoking. i think the tobacco companies should have to ay the health care costs for its victims........

Reply to
bob haller

There is a large number of multi-unit residential buildings being built using ICF in Waterloo Region (ontario) as well as some commercial and numerous high end single family dwellings.

Reply to
clare

while I don't condone the huge debt, I am glad that my gov't is raising fuel economy standards and also doing its best to give alternate energy technologies the same benefits that oil and nuke companies have enjoyed for decades. I'm also not upset that there are people who would like to save native salmon populations, trout, redwoods and even the spotted owl.

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds