Need temporary fix for ceiling rain leak

This is a SECOND FLOOR apartment in a 3 STORY building. It is NOT a roof problem - and NOT an attic issue.

Reply to
clare

You really are dumber than a stump, Dumbie. Even a stump knows enough not to broadcast its ignorance.

Tuesday, Dumbie.

Reply to
krw

I think that part of the answer will depend on where you live -- meaning what state and what town or area.

I am in New Jersey (South Jersey) and I have a pretty good idea of how the law works in New Jersey regarding residential rental property etc. (but I am not an attorney).

If you have concerns about mold and mildew, and especially with your newly-developed or existing sinus and bronchitis problems, there are some fairly simple things that you and the landlord can do.

I think the easiest thing to do for now would be to let your landlord know about your sinus and bronchitis problems and your concerns about potential mold and mildew, and ask that the maintenance people open up the ceiling now so it can dry out. That should be an easy no-brainer for them, especially since the ceiling already has water damage. And, by opening the ceiling they may even be able to better see where the water leak is coming from. But, regardless, the correct remedy for this type of damage (water in the ceiling) is to first open up the area and dry it out completely. That will help prevent mold and mildew growth, and it will enable the landlord to determine the extent of the water damage. They will have to fix the ceiling anyway, and the only correct way to fix it at this point is to open it up first and dry it out.

Since the big Nor'easter is coming tomorrow and tomorrow night, the time to open up the ceiling is today, or tomorrow AM at the latest. And, assuming you are in the predicted snow area, you can expect some serious water problems from the snow melting on the deck or whatever above.

And, of course, move all of your stuff out of the way so they can throw down some tarps and get to the area easily and open the ceiling without making too much of a mess. If there is insulation up in the ceiling, they will need to remove that to in order to prevent mold and mildew growth and to see the area better.

As far as automatically being able to break your lease and move out, in New Jersey it's not quite that simple. You would have to demonstrate that the proper was not habitable in its present condition and that your landlord has been unwilling to correct the problem within a reasonable time frame. So far, your landlord has been responding but just has not yet been able to come up with a quick fix. The fix is probably going to take some time, but if they open the ceiling up to dry it out and protect it from mold and mildew growth, they will have already done a lot toward temporarily resolving the problem until a permanent solution can be achieved.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Reply to
TomR

Might be time for a bigger bucket! :-)

But, seriously, if they open the ceiling up now it will help with a number of things. One is that it will help dry things out and prevent or reduce mold and mildew growth. Another is that should prevent a ceiling collapse during or after the coming snow storm. And it may help them see exactly where the water is coming in. And, finally, it actually may mean you'll need "a bigger bucket" -- meaning something larger to collect water from a slightly larger area rather than just from the one drip spot you had before.

Reply to
TomR

Glad to hear this...

Reply to
Doug

Steven, whatever you do, just want to wish you luck especially with the snow storm coming. If possible, can you keep us up to date down the road? Stay warm and safe.

Reply to
Doug

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario tonight too.

Reply to
clare

Some vertical snow in north eastern USA, also.

.

Looks like a bunch of "horizontal snow" around south central ontario tonight too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...more proof, Dumbie.

Reply to
krw

What's the last time a nor'easter dumped 24" of snow up there? That's a lot! Stay safe, and hope it isn't as bad as they are forecasting :o)

Reply to
Norminn

ceiling there too.

I stayed at a motor lodge. I read bad reviews about the place. Upon entering room, found at Least one leak between beds. It quit raining a day or two beforehand. The one odd thing was a large rectangular box in the hallway. I kept looking at it thinking, was that to catch a water drip ? I didn't want to investigate. Wedding reception was great.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

yawn....

Reply to
Doug

If we're keeping you up too late, you'd better go to bed. You'll be smarter in your sleep anyway.

Reply to
krw

Six years ago (on Valentines day) we got 36" and another 24" a month later (St. Pat's day). Fortunately, that was about it for the year so there was a place to put it all.

Reply to
krw

I'll be fine when you see the doctor and get the right doseage. Don't forget your meds today.

Reply to
Doug

You'll never be fine, Dumbie.

The fact that you're concerned about my BP medication does speak volumes about you, though.

Already took them, Dumbie, but your stalking is a little spooky.

Reply to
krw

maybe 1/4

when they

Funny... you need to look in the mirror when you say this.

Reply to
Doug

-- maybe 1/4

small hole in.

and when they

More proof of your single digit IQ, Dumbie. Done any "research" at CDC.GOV, lately? Did you finally read the Constitution on that site?

Reply to
krw

-- maybe 1/4

a digital

small hole in.

small hole

and when they

No I was preoccupied with making sure you take your proper medication.

Reply to
Doug

-- maybe 1/4

have a digital

small hole in.

call them

small hole

building up in

and when they

It's obvious to everyone that you're a cyber stalker, Dumbie. Now run along and take that nappie that mommy wants you to take. You can do more research at CDC.GOV after your nappie.

Reply to
krw