need help finding obsolete oven part

I'm in need of an obsolete part for a 1982 Kenmore oven, model #103.3248291. I've scoured the net and local shops, nobody has it or an equivalent part.

It's a piece of 3/8" aluminum tubing with flared ends and inverted nut fittings on each end. It runs from the regulator to an exterior shutoff valve (not the wall shutoff). The Sears part # was 294395. When I removed the oven to fix a bad igniter, I discovered the tubing had become damaged from a bad installation of the oven years ago, so I need to replace it.

One shop tried making me a new one by cutting off my existing flared ends and joining them with a compression fitting to a new piece of tubing, but the compression seal leaked whenever I wiggled it (I live in L.A., earthquake country).

Does anyone know a shop that might carry this part? I'm at my wits' end.

An alternate would be if I could find someone who could make a new tube properly, with the correct flared ends. Anyone know of any shops in the L.A. area that can machine something like that?

Reply to
HamNCheese

Any reason it couldn't be copper? If not anyone proficient with a flaring tool with access to the proper nuts could whip one out. H.D. sells flaring tools, you could get one and enough copper to practice. Not rocket science this.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Gas lines aren't supposed to be made of copper, because copper corrodes.

Reply to
HamNCheese

If you still have the flare nuts then it should be fairly easy to find a pipe fitter or plumber that can fabricate one for you. Make the tube slightly shorter with a bow in the middle. Upon installation reduce the bow to increase the length.

Or can you change the connection fittings at both ends and come up with a different tubing arrangement?

Reply to
tnom

I find that interesting as the feed line from my propane tank to the house is soft copper, as are most.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Have you tried the sears service center in your area?

Locate one here:

Steve Barker

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

That is such BS! That's all most gas stoves were hooked up with for a hundred years.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Any reason why you want to use aluminium, and not stainless or something? what you're describing sounds an awful lot like brakeline. In fact, try these people:

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

It's not the gas, it's the Hydrogen Sulfide dissolved in the gas (there's no HS in Propane) that corrodes the copper.

Some NG, evidently, has a lot of HS.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
noname87

National Gas Code states

"Copper and brass tubing and fittings (except tin-lined copper tubing) shall not be used if the gas contains more then an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas (0.7 milligrams per 100 liters )."

In general is easier to just rule out the use of copper in favor of other materials that you are assured will meet code.

Reply to
jolt

I ended up fixing this by bypassing the pipe. I connected the flex hose directly to the regulator inside the oven's back panel. Is there any danger in doing this?

Reply to
HamNCheese