NEC: is it "neck" or N-E-C?

I suppose I pay more attention to what is actually happening when I do things, than some people do.

Mark Lloyd

Yes, but if you are more accustomed to one than the other, it will always be heard (or read) first as the most typical for you. Of course you will figure it out by context, but that comes later in the brain's processing.
For example, I work where we talk a lot about "Print Quality" or as we commonly refer, "PQ". Recently I was researching HDTV monitors, and "PQ" there is obviously "Picture Quality." I had no problem understanding what was being said, but my thought process was always "print quality, NO! picture quality".
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

OK, try this: walk into the electrical department at Home Depot and ask the first employee you see where the EMT is. I betcha the first reaction will be a blank look.
Obviously the results would be different at an electrical supply house.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Hey! No fair fixing the bet. All I ever get is blank looks at the Depot!
My personal "favorite" was asking a guy in plumbing for an item, being told that it was in the kitchen department when I knew that was _highly_ unlikely, walking to the kitchen department and being told it was in plumbing. The kitchen guy was a bit dumbfounded that a plumbing aisle guy would be so clueless, so he walked me back over to plumbing. The original clerk _denied_ telling me that it was in kitchens! I nearly smacked him.

Well, okay, maybe that was cheating a bit. :-)
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

Dunno, everyone I ask at the BORG here knows where things are and are surprisingly helpful. I rather like the joint, though I wish the lefty-loons would let Lowes in for a little competition.
--
Keith

Doug Miller wrote:

That would not reflect so much on the usage of EMT as on the knowledge of the HD employees. There are a whole lot of things on HD shelves under a specific name that the employees don't recognize.

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:05:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That's what I would think of.

Mark Lloyd
In the USA, it is referred to as the N-E-C. It is also used in several Latin American countries, where the custom has been to pronounce it. However, those of us involved with the code spell it out.
Mark Earley Secretary of the NEC

With all due respect, while you folks involved in *making* the code may indeed spell it out, in my observation the guys in the field *using* it pronounce "NEC" as "code".
--
Regards,