How to use smoke to find mouse hole????

I live in a trailer house. A few years ago I had a problem with mice. I finally found a hole in the floor in a corner. I replaced some wood and put some tin under that corner. The mouse problem was gone for the past few years. Now I have mice in the house again. Trapping them is catching them, but I need to find the hole they probably chewed. I have a lot of clutter in the house because of lack of storage space. I have better things to do with my time than move every damn thing in the house, not to mention removing panels such as under the bathtub to look for holes. I dont want this to become a two week job of moving everything in the house.

I'm thinking of (somehow) getting a lot of smoke under the trailer, inside the skirting (after blocking the vents). This way I can look around inside the house for smoke, and at least pinpoint the room the hole is located, if not the exact spot. My problem is how can I make a smoky fire outside the house (like in a grill), and "inject" the smoke under the house? I'm thinking of some sort of blower, but HOW????

Any ideas?

No, I wont make the fire under the house, too dangerous, even if it's inside of a grill or something. The other thought are those "smoke bombs" they sell for the 4th of july, but I'm not sure where to buy them this time of year, and I also think I'd rather have wood smoke which smells better than that chemical smoke.

Any ideas??????

Thanks

Reply to
jw

If you plug one hole, they will find another. Fact: they do not like moth balls. Fact: you can use too many mothballs, so go light and put them where you can retrieve them. Fact: mice can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. If they can get their head in there, they can get the rest of their body through it.

In a manufactured home that is more than 48 hours old, there are going to be many places for mice to come and go at will. Sealing will be impossible. If you were to set off a smoke bomb inside and pressurize, you would probably see a million little smoke trails coming out everywhere.

I recommend two types of traps. Victor Tin Cat is one, about $15 per copy, a live trap that is safe around pets and kids. They have a one way door, and they work great. Good indoors where you need a small trap. No resetting, and once one mouse gets in there, the others want in to find out what he's doing. You can catch ten at a time, or as many as the trap will hold.

Soak in a five gallon bucket of water for five minutes to dissolve scud, neutralize enemy combatants, and empty trap. The dead mice will be eaten by some type of forager, and they will contain no poison.

Another GREAT! trap can be made almost free. Take a 5 gallon bucket. Take a piece of baling wire and a tin can. String the tin can on the baling wire through the centers of both ends. Make a kink in the wire so it stays in the middle. Hook the ends to the bail on the bucket or drill two holes. Put 4" of water in the bucket. Put some peanut butter on the can, and make sure it spins. You can put as many of these as you want around and under the house.

CHECK THEM OFTEN, as dead mouses get REAL skanky quick in warm weather when fermenting in water.

Good luck.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Useless. I bought one for my garage workshop, and it has never, in two years, even with bait, caught a single thing. However, the myriad of normal mouse and rat traps catch everything. I find at least one mouse, chipmunk, or squirrel every day. The mice killed in a rat trap are kinda icky, but very dead! I'm just happy I've never seen a rat! More likely to catch a racoon or possum, considering how boonieville we are. The Victor Tin Cat is TOTALLY not worth even $.01. Just my experience, YMMV.

Reply to
tmclone