Painting Tips Needed:Gradual dark to light texture

Hi:

I want to paint one the rooms in the house such that the paint texture starts with a dark beige color at the top to lighter beige color as it goes down. How does one do this to achieve a good gradual texturing? Also it is too difficult to undertake?

Thanks, Goadude

Reply to
Goadude

I have never attempted such a thing but will share with you what I would try. I'd paint the entire room with the light color and then spray from the top down with the dark color while adjusting the sprayer. Heavy on the first pass at the very top, a little less paint/more air on the second pass below that, and so on. The sprayer would be the key to this working. I have no experience with latex sprayers but know that automotive types can do this.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I think that's going to prove *very* difficult. At a minimum I think you'll need some top-of-the-line spray equipment and a lot of practice with it.

However, if you succeed, please be sure to post detailed instructions because it's a really cool idea!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I've never embalmed anyone, so I can't comment on the last question. On the first question I would investigate sponging or ragging. You did say paint texture, not simply color, and that's the easiest texturing to tweak.

RicodJour

OT: My first reaction ... dark at the top and light at the bottom? Now that's just plain wrong :-)

Reply to
bowgus

You can easily do it with a tool called "gradient fill" on computer "paint" programs.

In real life? I dunno, but here's a wild-ass idea:

Use the computer to print the "gradient filled" stuff on a 30" printer (they've got 'em at Kinko's). Use the result as wallpaper.

I'm going to go have even more to drink....

Good luck.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd suggest a look in a decorative painting techniques book in your local library. There should be an explanation there. Didn't look overly difficult to me, if you have patience.

Reply to
jeffc

No. Artist painters do stuff like this all the time, and it's not "fine art". You seem to be thinking airbrush perfect - doesn't have to be that way to look good.

Reply to
jeffc

Actually, I was gonna say that too.

Reply to
jeffc

Dry brushing, or an air gun, that'd be my impulse.

Reply to
Goedjn

The furniture in that room (club chairs, funky glass tables) are of a darker shade. Thats why the the color of the wall has to be dark at the top and gradually turning lighter at the bottom. This way the darker color furniture will contrast well with the wall overall effect.

Cheers, Goadude

jeffc wrote:

Reply to
Goadude

You might fill a paint sprayer reservoir with white paint and attach a metering pump to slowly add brown to the reservoir as you paint up from the bottom. I did something like this in strips with a roller, and it looked pretty good.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I'm repainting this year too ... started friday actually. This summer past I was sitting looking at the way the sunlight cast onto the walls and was thinking walls lighter adjacent to the windows (cathedral ceiling) and fading to darker on walls away from windows ... but gave it up. I am going with what I call twilight colors though, with different walls slightly different in color. You might consider the same ???

Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
bamboo

I've seen it once, don't remember where, but probably some place expensive. It was very nice. (Maybe it had dark at the bottom.)

Reply to
mm