Low tech way to texture walls

HI,

I removed several layers of wall paper on a '69 vintage house, which also peeled off a little of the sheetrock paper. I was told that texturing the wall will cover these divots. Texturing appears to require a compressor and a open hopper full of wall compound or some such. Most people describe wearing much of the compound. Do you know of a simpler technique, such as using a roller and a piece of screening or ?

Thanks, Krystn

Reply to
Krystn McCaleb

texturing wont hide damage , do it right patch it smooth why hack it up . texturing is the hack way out and lowers the value.

Reply to
m Ransley

My wife did this in our sunroom - she used a product from Sherwin Williams, a texture paint - she was using a special loop roller....it was too wet and ended up flying all over the place - she ran out quickly...she went to Home Depot and got the Behr texture paint - much better consistancy. It went on pretty easy with the roller. The roller was just to get it on the wall. Once she did that, she took a trowelled it out with a couple different size trowels to make random lines/shapes. She then put a base coat on, then ragged on a second coat of a little darker shade...came out awesome....it is a messy job either way. Perhaps just trowelling it on would be just as easy - but, I think the key was the consistancy of the texture paint...should be, like joint compound (for that matter, you could probably just use joint compound?) Good luck - Earl

Reply to
Earl

Depends on the effect you're looking for. I've textured walls with straw brooms to get a vertical texturing effect. I've textured using rollers as well.

Reply to
fatman985

I agree with Ransley. Give a drywall guy some bucks to float a coat of mud on it. You will end up hating the texture some day and you will be stuck with it.

Reply to
Greg