removing texture from walls

My walls and ceiling have a knocked-down texture thats been painted several times, so that the texture has lost the crisp edges and looks, well, like it's been painted several times.

Is there a way of removing texture without damaging or replacing the drywall?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

If you take off all the paint you can just wipe it off with a damp sponge. Be easier to just skim coat it smooth or re-texture.

Reply to
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote in news:vvasg.16760$LS6.13952@trnddc03:

Just did a 3rd area of the walls you describe. Skim coat, sponge sand, skim coat again, sponge sand, etc. until you have it smooth. Prime it. Must be primed since mud will soak up all the paint. After priming, remud what's showing defects, sponge sand, prime those areas.

Real PITA. Dusty. Maybe it's because I suck at mudding. I watched a team of French women pros do an entire house. Never used any type of sanding. Perfect. 15 years later - still perfect. Pissed me off!

Reply to
Al Bundy