Hi thar and wall texture question

Hi All- I'm new to this newsgroup-- just bought my first house, a "TLC" fixer upper. I think. I hope!

two questions:

1) I got to this group via Google search- is there some info somewhere about subscribing to it?

2) One of my first projects is painting. The previous owners apparently scored big on a 55-gal drum of navy grey-blue semi-gloss paint, because it's EVERYWHERE. And underneath the paint is a pretty heavy-handed "knock-down" texture job. I think that's what it's called because I saw that term being used in the emails I found in my Google search of this group. The two things I want to paint the walls some less obnoxious colors, but first I want to remove or fill in this texture stuff.

In my search, I found lots of info on ADDING texture to walls, but nothing about REMOVING it or covering it over. I was thinking about skimming drywall mud over it and sanding it, but I'm concerned that I would always be hitting the high points of the texture, and I'm thinking that the mud won't stick all that well to the semi-gloss paint to start with. Meaning that it would all come down when I start painting after all that painstaking sanding.

Any ideas or pointers for where to go for more info or instructions?

thankya so kindly! cee2

Reply to
Chris Cee

To subscribe send 50 $ to my address. With walls you describe , you have a problem. I wouldnt skim coat over gloss. Repaint Flat and live with it and skim in 2 months or drywall.

Reply to
m Ransley