National Ammo Day

Page 5 of 6

well,that "full-auto" NFA gun could also be a SELECT-FIRE gun,and be used semi-auto,3rd burst,or full-auto.You could still enjoy shooting it. and one could be very handy in a meltdown riot situation.Remember the LA Watts riots?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

which ones? 1965 or 1992?
cheers Bob

You mean people don't use those Cadillac pickups to haul manure? :-)
On 11/17/2009 5:40 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

So how, exactly, do you know that all of these ammo-buyers are what you call "law-abiding citizens"?
This oughta be interesting ...
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

What's your point?
On 11/17/2009 4:37 PM snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net spake thus:

My point, if one were too dense to deduce it from my question, is this: how many of those 7.5 billion rounds would end up in the hands of those you'd rather it not (like people who might want to rip you off or otherwise do you harm)?
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
And, do you think crooks behaviour will be changed by a usenet post?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not in the least.
[The rest of your post was lost due to incorrect settings, apparently, in your news client that puts everything below into your sig. I'll post more on this later ...]
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:35:48 -0800, David Nebenzahl

scissor off

Good luck. Something just won't sink in about top posting..

Well," if one were too dense" to deduce the flaw in your question, hence my question, the I'll have to explain.
1. For every box of ammo sold to each non law abiding citizen I would hope at least one or more boxes would be sold to each law abiding citizen.
2. If you are implying sales of ammo should be limited because a non law abiding citizen may purchase some then you must also believe that sales of cars should be limited. For some non law abiding citizen may use it as a get away car.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Interesting. I hadn't considered that. Now that I have, I still don't care.
Well, I CARE a little bit, but the alternatives are far worse than a handfull of do-bads stocking up on ammunition. Chances are that the goblins who end up with a trunkfull of bullets will use them mostly to kill other goblins. So that's good.

Buying ammo now is like buying gold, in more ways than one. You should have bought both a few years ago when houses were thought to be the best investment.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yep. With sufficient ammunition, all other things are obtainable - including gold.

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value will be determined by whoever gets their gun on target first. My intuition tells me it won't be you.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In the event of a total meltdown of society, that gold's value will be minimal. Food and tools to get food will have far more value than a pretty metal that is too soft to make tools to get food.
Pete C. wrote:

You could use a bar of it to club someone over the head. Perhaps add weight to the end of a baseball bat with some of it. *snicker*
TDD

I have heard it said in that total breakdown .22rf ammo will be the new gold. You can feed your family with a .22 and not attract much attention to yourself. I could tell you how to make it virtually silent ... but that would be illegal.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Telling someone how to make a suppressor is not illegal - heck, there are examples all over the internet. You can even BUY a legal suppressor (ATF transfer tax of $5.00 applies). What's not kosher is to MAKE your own.

Agreed. OTOH,in that meltdown,I can see certain groups murdering to get gold and diamond jewelry("bling").
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posit: there's nothing new under the sun.
From that, the question arises:
"How long has it been since the last total meltdown of society?"
From that:
"How likely is a total meltdown of society in my lifetime?"
(especially since society is a lot more civilized than it used to be)
Or, possibly:
"Would I want to survive a total meltdown of society?"
I'm just not worried about it.
Cindy Hamilton