National Ammo Day

Page 1 of 6

Subject: National Ammo Day
http://www.ammoday.com /
A brief explanation - What is National Ammo Day? November 19 is National Ammo Day.
It is a nationwide BUYcott of ammunition. You buy ammunition. 100 Rounds a person.
The goals of Ammo Day:
The goal of National Ammo Day is to empty the ammunition from the shelves of your local gun store, sporting goods, or hardware store and put that ammunition in the hands of law-abiding citizens. Make your support of the Second Amendment known--by voting with your dollars!
There are an estimated 75 MILLION gun owners in the United States of America. If each gun owner or Second Amendment supporter buys 100 rounds of ammunition, that's 7.5 BILLION rounds in the hands of law-abiding citizens!
The gun/ammunition manufacturers have been taking the brunt of all the frivolous lawsuits, trying to put these folks out of business. Well, not if we can help it! And we CAN help it by buying ammunition on November 19!
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:40:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

[snip]
It's also No Smoking Day.
Anyone caught smoking on Nov 19 will be shot. And now I've got the bullet to do it with.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

sales skyrocket.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Back door economic stimulus package.
TDD
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:40:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

And you're going to limit this to law abiding citizens how?

Criminals usually carry the gun around with the ammo that was in when it was stolen and they throw it away when they shoot someone.
Fingerprints, background check. Waiting period. Registration. National ID card, approval from the local sherrif, and a note from your mom. Nothing unreasonable, right?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Reasonable. Is it done that way for ammo? I doubt it but don't actually know.

In NY State: Show pistol permit to buy pistol ammo. Ammo must match one of the guns listed on the permit. Rifle ammo: Nobody's ever asked me for anything but money.
NYC may or may not be different. I have no idea.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

TX - 18+ to buy rifle ammo, 21+ to buy pistol ammo. As long as you meet the age requirements we don't care what you buy. And certainly no pistol permits specifying specific guns.

Actually, last time I bought ammo at [unnamed store], I didn't even get the permit out of the clear sleeve in my wallet. The guy said "That's OK - I see a fingerprint and green.", which is the color of the permit.
Pete C. wrote:

Slight correction:
In Texas there are no pistol permits period. There is no firearm registration of any kind, nor do you need the state's permission to purchase one or many firearms.
HeyBub wrote:

Um, I'm in Texas and I have a Texas CHL in my wallet.
Pete C. wrote:

Thats why I am sure "heybub" is a bored housewife who just writes a lot of dramatic but totally inaccurate nonsense to fill in the day.
This appears to be the governing laws in Texas:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm
Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau
Concealed Handgun Statutes & Related Weapons Laws
George wrote:

Okay, oh learned one, tell me where I relayed "nonsense." In Texas, you do not need a PERMIT to purchase a firearm. Some states, such as Illinois, require a citizen to first obtain a FID - Firearm Identification Card before they can purchase a gun/pistol. Some jurisdictions, such as D.C., require you to obtain the pistol permit immediately after buying the gun but before you take actual legal possession. The Texas law you cite has absolutely nothing to do with purchasing a firearm.
We do not have gun "permits" of any kind in Texas. The closest thing is a Concealed Handgun LICENSE. The distinction between a "license" and a "permit" is, on its face, trivial, but the difference is sometimes great. The words are often used interchangeably, but to most there is a difference. A "permit" generally implies some sort of discretion on the part of the issuing agency. A "license" is merely recognition that you've passed the requirements (and paid a fee). You get a LICENSE for your car, but an oversized load requires a PERMIT.
In Texas (and 37 other states), for concealed handguns, if you pass the requirements, the state MUST issue the license. In places like California and New York, which have "permits", the issuing authority can refuse to even talk to the applicant.
That aside, I stand by my bored-housewife statement that no permits of any kind are required in Texas to purchase a firearm or ammunition, nor do we have pistol permits. Of any kind.
I defy you to show me where I'm wrong. I leave open the possibility that you're a harridan trying to pick a fight.
As an aside, had you not insulted me and instead simply said: "Hey, bub, what about this..." I would have responded: "Oops, I didn't make myself clear. The thought I intended to convey was..."

IIRC,Texas DOES "register" a specific pistol to your permit,the one you trained with. (possible to have more than one listed?)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

No it does not.
The make, model, serial number, or identifying marks or tattoos of the pistol you use to qualify is not recorded. Anywhere.
The only distinction is whether the pistol with which you qualified is a revolver or an automatic. If you qualify with a revolver, you may carry only a revolver, any revolver. If you qualify with an automatic, you may carry any pistol, or more than one, of any mechanical operation method.

That is certainly different from Florida. Our "training" is mostly legal in nature and not tied to any particular gun. In fact the license allows you to carry any "concealed" firearm. That could be an M60 if you had a long enough trench coat and the BATF form 4. Personally I would prefer an HK MP5 if I was packing that kind of heat..
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's not tied to any particular gun in Texas either. The only distinction is "revolver" or "automatic." If you qualify with an automatic, you can carry an automatic or a revolver. Qualification with a revolver limits you to that type only. Virtually no one qualifies with a revolver.