Lets all buy from Sears

Page 2 of 3
aemeijers wrote:

In almost every case, department stores at malls are not paying rent. They built, and own their buildings, and often the parking lots closest to their stores. It actually is a big pain in the butt for mall owners, because the department stores have veto power over new construction at the mall that might have an impact on the department stores, even when the impact is minimal. We're going through that at the mall near me, where there are actually four different owners, Sears, JC Penney, Federated, and Evershine (mall owner), and everything the mall owner wants to do is subject to approval by the department store owners.
The department stores really can't do anything else with their mall stores except to continue to operate them, or try to sell them to another departments store chain. The zoning is such that they can't just run out and tear down the store and build condos.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, K-Mart acquired Sears in 2005.

I was just in a K-mart today, and I still think the association with Sears sounds strange.

Mark Lloyd

Then, the ankle bracelet acquired Martha in 2006
On Nov 8, 5:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, K bought Sears. K went bankrupt, K sold off lots of real estate, K had LOTS of money, K bought Sears.

S.S.Kresge (where the K comes from) started a store in 1899 in Detroit later moving to Troy. There was a merger...the new Sears Holdings is in Hoffman Estates, Il. where Sears was.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

But, the "merger" was instigated by K and they paid something like $11B. Each S and K maintain separate "headquarters" under the auspices of the holding company.
What always seemed peculiar to me in the deal was if K was indeed bankrupt, how there were $11B in assets that didn't go to creditors--seems as if there were those kind of "extra" assets after the liquidation/reorganization it would be hard to say were actually "bankrupt". But, I guess it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is... :(

re: Lowest price delivered wins!
On an apples to apples basis, true.
On a quality, features, service and warranty basis, not so much.

I've got kind of a funny story about Sears...at best they were an unknowing victim of their ad agency, at worst they were knowingly dishonest.
I have a friend who lives in one of the more upscale neighborhoods in our area. Real nice house, beautiful landscaping.
One Sunday morning she's enjoying a cup of coffee while flipping through the ad's in the paper. She comes across the Sears insert and right there on the front page is a picture of her house along with some text extolling the quality of Sears roofing and siding services. The thing is, Sears had nothing to do with siding or roofing their house. It was all done by the custom builder they used for the rest of the house. Now, the ad never said "Here's an example of our work", but it was obvious that whoever put the ad together wanted to make a real nice impression.
As it turns out, the husband is a lawyer, so he wrote a very nice letter asking Sears to stop using his house in their ads. Next week's flyer had a different house in the ad.
Another plug for them you may not know about. They do *excellent* work helping FPO AP customers in remote areas order products and they do not charge more than stateside mailing.
Since mailing to an FPO AP doesnt cost more (just taes longer) this is correct behavior. Most however, treat us as 'overseas' and charge quite a bit extra and bank the profit.
[snip]

Not quite right -- it may not cost you or I more to mail to an APO, but it costs many companies a LOT more, because their shipments to U.S. addresses are highly discounted. Here's why -- companies such as on-line or TV shopping channels like HSN use a trucking company, not the post office, to move goods from their warehouse to the buyer's local post office . The local post office delivers the package at a special discounted rate. The combined costs of shipping plus local postal are less than using USPS from the shipper's warehouse..
But they can't use this method to ship to APOs because their trucking company can't get there, so they either have to set up a separate shipping procedure for APO mailings -- making the overhead and the shipping for APO orders more expensive, or make a business decision not to sell to APO addresses.
If you ever have an order from HSN that doesn't get delivered, and trace it back to the post office, you'll find out that it was delivered to your local PO by R R Donnelly Logistics. Other on-line or TV sellers have similar arrangements.
Companies which use FedEx, UPS, etc. have similar problems delivering to APOs
JimR wrote:

Chuckle. At work, for anything too big for the APO bag, we use DHL or FEDEX into their depots in Bagram or Baghdad. Street addresses are kind of fuzzy over there- our people often have to go pick it up themselves. Shipping equipment into SWA is a major PITA- every border crossed, there is some form to fill out, and some sort of 'inspection fee' or 'duty' to pay. And if you piss off the head of whatever border station, well, your stuff just sits. About 2 shipments out of 10 just sort of vanish without a trace.
aem sends...

If you want the war to last forever, support Sears & Bush. If you want the war to end, boycott Sears. Let those dumb enough to fight wars for Halliburton pay the price.
nick hull wrote:

Sadly, the social liberals are responsible for the war lasing a long time.
Due to imposed "humanitarian" concerns imposed upon the rules of engagement, our forces are precluded from killing off the goblins faster than they can breed. Attrition is no longer a viable option.
Re Re: Lets all buy from Sears:

We have met the enemy and he is us.
HeyBub wrote:

What war? I happened to be in San Diego three years ago when the President stood on the deck of an aircraft carrier in his camouflage suit to tell us that our mission in Iraq had been accomplished and the war was over. I always believe what the President says. It's unpatriotic not to. Paul
HeyBub wrote:

You're trying to provide facts to those who prefer to not to hear. What is so hilarious, though, is that those same folks will scream bloody murder whenever someone brings up Algore's "I created the internet" moment. ROTFLOL.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

No, he made his speech standing in front of a HUGE banner hung by his advance crew that said in letters several feet tall: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Later, his spin crew tried valiantly to convince the media that they had nothing to do with that huge banner that "Just happened to be there".
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Wars have many missions. The mission to destroy the Iraqi army and depose So-Dammned-Insane WAS accomplished.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Sure, Rush, take some more pills.