Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

I don't see anything about color.

Reply to
Pico Rico

NEVER mix nt of gasoline with kerosene. EXTREME EXPLOSION HAZARD!

The amish around PA use kerosene for lamps etc.

Somewhere in the supply chain a mistake was made:( The mostly kerosene had a small amount of gasoline in it.......

Some amish died from exploding kerosene lamps.

Be smart and dont mix fuels or can colors, its just not worth the risk!!

Reply to
bob haller

I have a 5 gallon YELLOW can for Diesel, which I no longer use, since I traded in my diesel tractor for a gas model. (the fuel was always gelling up in cold weather, even with additives). But aside from the color, the container is made identical to a red gas can. Kero is almost identical to diesel, just cleaner burning due to more refining.

Kero will not harm a plastic gas can. However, some places may refuse to fill a RED can. (I suppose you could paint it blue???).

I used to store Kero in a plastic one gallon milk bottle. That plastic was not harmed. NOT LEGAL to fill by a seller, though.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

The jugs they sell with blue windshield washer fluid are much stronger. And they can be had for free out of gas station trash cans. Shake em out good, and let them dry with the cap off.

Label with permanant marker, so you don't by accident fill your kero heater with a jug of water by accident (DAMHIKT)

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not true, unless you use the mixture in place of Kerosene.

And some of their lamps also run on methyl Hydrate (or even ethanol), and some on Naptha or "white gas".

The atmospheric pressure "wick" lamps run kero or lamp oil. The pressurised mantle lamps run "white gas" and the aladdins run Kero. Petrmax lanterns are pressure mantle lamps than can be run on alcohol, as could some Primus and Radius lanterns and lamps.

Reply to
clare

Years ago, I found that burning alcohols puts out very little light. Kerosene and petroleum products put out more light.

Not sure about Coleman fuel benzine. I've got a mantle lamp that uses Coleman fuel, though I do like propane better.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, I hadn't looked directly at the higher-level link; figured the CP doc would be prominent but gotta' look a little.

I'm not sure (not being in CA) how they proceeded from the 2005 document; it appears various pieces have been turned into actual regulations somewhat piecemeal instead of the whole thing in one swell foop...but there's where the color codes originated, whatever their actual legal status may be...

Reply to
dpb

What you need to understand with a mantle lamp is it is NOT the burning fuel that makes the light, it is the flourescing of the radioactive mantle material. In a lamp designed for alcohol fuel the mantle is every bit as bright as a propane of gasoline mantle lamp.

Reply to
clare

I remember some thing about radioactive "whatever" in Real Coleman (TM) mantles. That kind of thing?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes. They have Thorium and cerium nitrate in them, precipitated with Amonia - and then coated with nitrocellulose. Sometimes Berryilium is also added to strengthen the burned ash. The nitrocellulose stabilizes the mantle before it is burned, and helps it "burn in" It is the thorium that makes the mantle glow very bright white - and over 4 times as bright as the flame that heats it.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As far as coleman mantles - I only buy the coleman GOLD mantles. About twice the cost of the standard mantle but they are much more durable. I used to replace a few mantles a year when camping untill I started buying the gold mantles - now they go for YEARS.

Reply to
clare

What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices, fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump. Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who notices just after you finish filling?

Reply to
micky

One of two places I've bought kero said I must have a blue can. In Baltmore, not California.

I have 32 ounces stored in a clear plastic apple juice bottle, for the last 5 years. Hasn't leaked yet.

Reply to
micky

Need more information. Are you black?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What does a man do with a quart of kero? Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now that was a good one Stormin. :)

Reply to
trader_4

My year is off to a better start. Thank you.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Three cops jump you and strangle you to death. Just like they did the person selling single cigaretts. They won't go after the big crime, just the little fellows.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yep, easy to mistake:

I heat with wood, cut my own. Went out to burn my brush piles one day, sto pped filled up two cans, gas (for lawn mower) and diesel (to start fires) b oth in red cans but one with big yellow spout.

Fire piles were a bit stubborn starting so I was going back and forth addin g diesel. Toss a bit WHOOSH!. About the third time I looked down and I w as using the gas can and it had a flame flickering at the spout. Slapped m y glove on it, retired to the truck for a cup of coffee while my nerves rec overed.

Diesel is now in a yellow can (as it should have been then).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K