Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

Page 3 of 4
Traces of kero won't hurt a gasoline engine. Half or a third kero might not start the mower.
Years ago, they used to use kerosene and gasoline for remote location pump houses. Start the engine on gas, and then switch over to kero. Because kero stores longer without going stale.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And I remember that during WWII one of the DIY magazines like Pop Science ran an article on how to adapt your car to start on gasoline and then switch it over to kero or even #2 fuel oil which was easier to come by during the war than rationed gasoline was.
IIRC they had you wrap a couple of feet of copper tubing loosely around the exhaust manifold and ran the alternate fuel through it before it got to the carb to make it easier to vaporize.
You had to switch back to gasoline for a short while before shutting down, so the carb bowl was filled with gasoline for the next start.
You prolly would have a hell of a time trying to do that with one of today's computerized fuel injected cars, but back then when all you needed to make a car engine run was "fire and gas" and you could play with thinkgs like ignition timing just by rotating the distributor, stuff was a lot easier to tinker with. Hell, I swear my 2004 Lincoln throws on its "Check Engine" light if I fart with the windows closed.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Sounds very high tech, and I'm not kidding.

You couldn't do it yourself, but they could make the computer handle the switchover and the switch back. Would make it pretty easy.
Of course, this war isn't like WWII. No one is asking anyone to cut back on gasoline use. High prices may discourage some, but we were told to buy things, to spend money. This is supposed to be a painless war on the home front. Well, home is not a front, except for those with family members in the war.

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:44:01 +0000, April

Nato Spec red is Gasoline,Yellow is Diesel Dark blue is Kero, Light Blue is WATER
If you are in the UK, leaded (4 star) gas is red, Unleaded is grean, and diesel is black.

I don't see anything about color.
NEVER mix nt of gasoline with kerosene. EXTREME EXPLOSION HAZARD!
The amish around PA use kerosene for lamps etc.
Somewhere in the supply chain a mistake was made:( The mostly kerosene had a small amount of gasoline in it.......
Some amish died from exploding kerosene lamps.
Be smart and dont mix fuels or can colors, its just not worth the risk!!
On 01/01/2015 4:31 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

OK, I hadn't looked directly at the higher-level link; figured the CP doc would be prominent but gotta' look a little.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/pfc/2005/cp501.pdf&sa=U&ei=H_-lVJnvLMP3yQSVuYCoAw&ved AYQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usgQjCNFyyZwBwVHxyTTNoaRzG2ryoLJxyw>
I'm not sure (not being in CA) how they proceeded from the 2005 document; it appears various pieces have been turned into actual regulations somewhat piecemeal instead of the whole thing in one swell foop...but there's where the color codes originated, whatever their actual legal status may be...
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:44:01 +0000, April

I have a 5 gallon YELLOW can for Diesel, which I no longer use, since I traded in my diesel tractor for a gas model. (the fuel was always gelling up in cold weather, even with additives). But aside from the color, the container is made identical to a red gas can. Kero is almost identical to diesel, just cleaner burning due to more refining.
Kero will not harm a plastic gas can. However, some places may refuse to fill a RED can. (I suppose you could paint it blue???).
I used to store Kero in a plastic one gallon milk bottle. That plastic was not harmed. NOT LEGAL to fill by a seller, though.
On 1/1/2015 7:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

The jugs they sell with blue windshield washer fluid are much stronger. And they can be had for free out of gas station trash cans. Shake em out good, and let them dry with the cap off.
Label with permanant marker, so you don't by accident fill your kero heater with a jug of water by accident (DAMHIKT)

Not true, unless you use the mixture in place of Kerosene.

And some of their lamps also run on methyl Hydrate (or even ethanol), and some on Naptha or "white gas".
The atmospheric pressure "wick" lamps run kero or lamp oil. The pressurised mantle lamps run "white gas" and the aladdins run Kero. Petrmax lanterns are pressure mantle lamps than can be run on alcohol, as could some Primus and Radius lanterns and lamps.

On 1/1/2015 8:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Years ago, I found that burning alcohols puts out very little light. Kerosene and petroleum products put out more light.
Not sure about Coleman fuel benzine. I've got a mantle lamp that uses Coleman fuel, though I do like propane better.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:07:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon

What you need to understand with a mantle lamp is it is NOT the burning fuel that makes the light, it is the flourescing of the radioactive mantle material. In a lamp designed for alcohol fuel the mantle is every bit as bright as a propane of gasoline mantle lamp.
On 1/1/2015 9:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I remember some thing about radioactive "whatever" in Real Coleman (TM) mantles. That kind of thing?
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:27:24 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Yes. They have Thorium and cerium nitrate in them, precipitated with Amonia - and then coated with nitrocellulose. Sometimes Berryilium is also added to strengthen the burned ash. The nitrocellulose stabilizes the mantle before it is burned, and helps it "burn in" It is the thorium that makes the mantle glow very bright white - and over 4 times as bright as the flame that heats it.

On 1/1/2015 10:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young

What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices, fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump. Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who notices just after you finish filling?

On 1/2/2015 2:09 AM, micky wrote:

Need more information. Are you black?
On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:03:55 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now that was a good one Stormin. :)
On 1/2/2015 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

My year is off to a better start. Thank you.