Kerosene in a plastic gasoline can

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:07:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon

What you need to understand with a mantle lamp is it is NOT the burning fuel that makes the light, it is the flourescing of the radioactive mantle material. In a lamp designed for alcohol fuel the mantle is every bit as bright as a propane of gasoline mantle lamp.
On 1/1/2015 9:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I remember some thing about radioactive "whatever" in Real Coleman (TM) mantles. That kind of thing?
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 21:27:24 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Yes. They have Thorium and cerium nitrate in them, precipitated with Amonia - and then coated with nitrocellulose. Sometimes Berryilium is also added to strengthen the burned ash. The nitrocellulose stabilizes the mantle before it is burned, and helps it "burn in" It is the thorium that makes the mantle glow very bright white - and over 4 times as bright as the flame that heats it.

On 1/1/2015 10:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young

What happens if you need gas, walk to a gas station with say, an antifreeze bottle, maybe yellow for Prestone, and before anyone notices, fill it with a gallon of gasoline, paid for by credit card in the pump. Is anyone going to try to stop you before you leave? A policeman who notices just after you finish filling?

On 1/2/2015 2:09 AM, micky wrote:

Need more information. Are you black?
On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:03:55 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now that was a good one Stormin. :)
On 1/2/2015 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

My year is off to a better start. Thank you.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 18:43:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

One of two places I've bought kero said I must have a blue can. In Baltmore, not California.

I have 32 ounces stored in a clear plastic apple juice bottle, for the last 5 years. Hasn't leaked yet.
On 1/2/2015 2:11 AM, micky wrote:

What does a man do with a quart of kero? Clean motor bearings? Heat a tent?

Three cops jump you and strangle you to death. Just like they did the person selling single cigaretts. They won't go after the big crime, just the little fellows.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 08:48:43 -0500, Stormin Mormon

I used the other half gallon to clean a motorcycle gas tank inside. Hadn't been ridden since 1979 iirc.
Oh yeah, I also have a cast iron "dish", 3x8", 2" tall with a porous brick inside, and you pour kerosene on that and use itto start a wood fire in the fireplace. Works quite well. But sometimes I just use newspapers, and I don' t have that many fires, so the kerosene will last a long time.
I might have also saved the dirty half gallon for starting the fireplace. What does it matter if it's dirty or not.

For that I like waterless cleaner in a tube or can, or Boraxo powdered hand cleaner.

I have not looked at what is in it, but the GO-JO smells like it is soap and kerosene. That is used to clean the hands.
bob haller posted for all of us...

Cite please.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*