JerryCan vs "Gasoline" JerryCan?

The last time I got diesel in a can, the pump operator said he could not pump diesel into a red container, except in my case it was ok because I had written in several sides of the container "diesel".
This is in soviet republic of Oregon.
Paul
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 00:51:33 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

I think that's only for transportation purposes. What you do at home is up to you.
At least that's what the California CHP (800-835-5247) told me when I had called them about laws regarding transporting 50 gallons of gasoline in my trunk.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:45:37 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

BTW, in New York, apparently you can't carry more than 25 gallons; yet, California (and presumably the other 49 states), it's 600 *pounds* (yes, pounds) of hazardous materials without a permit.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:49:27 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

No, that is not true. Propane has limits for both open and closed vehicles. Closed in many states is 25 gallons or 215 pounds.
You also state hazardous materials. Do you think it is legal to transport 600 pounds or radioactive material in your car?