JerryCan vs "Gasoline" JerryCan?

This is obviously the Real Deal for gasoline storage:

But these guys

look virtually identical, even down to the numbers stamped on the handle and the interior coating.

They come with the admonition "For non-potable water only" and the web page specifically cautions that federal law prohibits storage of gasoline in them.

Does anybody know what, besides color, the diff is?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

And what's the difference with these - other than the price.

Can't take credit for finding this site; someone else posted it in reference to the thread on the idiots in Washington making everyone's lives miserable by screwing around trying to improve gasoline storage containers.

Thinking of picking up four of these myself. For less than the price of two of those from Amazon that ARE legit for fuel storage, I'll get four. Pick a color, any color

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Just that and that they don't include an EPA-compliant spout which is why they're non-compliant and must have the disclaimer. I don't know how long the blatant subterfuge will last before somebody in charge gets their hackles up but power to 'em as long as they can.

Me, I've got a supply of about 20 old 5-gal metal screw-top cans from hydraulic oil, grease and various other products from the years before the plastic switch and then the EPA. They'll outlast me so I'm set...the collection may be one of the most valuable assets in the estate auction, who knows??? :)

Reply to
dpb

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The difference is vapor containment system. That is, the "water" ones don't have any. The "water" cans and their spouts are the very same ones that were sold for gasoline use before the EPA changed the regulations.

You'll note that California prohibits the sale of those cans to CA residents. That's because the bureaucrats and activists know full-well that people are going to buy the "water" cans and put gasoline in them, just like they used to.

Hey guys, suck it up. You voted for those idiots. TWICE.

Reply to
Tegger

Per Unquestionably Confused:

What I've read so far is that you have to watch out for knockoffs that look superficially the same, but do not have the lining or the quality of welding.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tegger:

The sealing looks identical to me: same gasket, same cam-operated cap.

I guess I should pour a cupful of gas into the suspect one, seal it, leave it in the sun for a few hours, and then crack to cap to see of there's an audible sound of vapor release.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Hmm, And if it goes boom burning your face or hands? There is no such thing as over safety. I wouldn't keep my gas in non-designated can. Even at that it is not 100% safe.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There might be fights over good ones with the double circle COOP logo.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Federal law says gas cans have to be red. You can have an identical yellow can for diesel and it is illegal to put gas in it.

Reply to
gfretwell

The last time I got diesel in a can, the pump operator said he could not pump diesel into a red container, except in my case it was ok because I had written in several sides of the container "diesel".

This is in soviet republic of Oregon.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

It says this.

*Note: Federal law prohibits the use of this container for the storage of fuel and California law prohibits the sale of any this jerry cans to California residents
Reply to
willshak

Per willshak:

But the question is "Why?".

Could it be just the color? The can appears to be identical in all other respects to the red ones that are specifically sold for fuel.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I imagine it does not have the CARB approved spout

Reply to
gfretwell

I have to say the problem with the "idiots" (most of whom are actually in California), isn't that they screwed around with the can storage (it actually stores gasoline rather well).

The containers meet the required spec that the gasoline stays *in* the can; it's just that they never specified how (easily) the gas should come *out* of the can.

The cans only meet 1/2 the consumer spec.

Reply to
Danny D.

When I had called the CARB 800-242-4450, I spoke to Angus 916-445-4686 about gasoline cans; he told me they *weigh* them after a period of something like 120 days (I had posted at the time the exact spec) and they can't lose anything. There is also an accelerated test.

Interestingly, he said there is a spec for a can with a second opening, but, that none of the six companies approved for California sales has ever submitted a can for certification that has that second opening (i.e., a vent).

Reply to
Danny D.

It's not a safety issue.

It's (mostly) a pollution issue.

That's why the California air resource board (CARB) is the one who makes the specs.

Both cans (old and new) are as safe (well, except for the child safety stuff that we all just cut off upon receipt).

Actually, we all spill more gas with the newer spouts, so, I'd argue they're even less safe than the older ones.

Reply to
Danny D.

I think that's only for transportation purposes. What you do at home is up to you.

At least that's what the California CHP (800-835-5247) told me when I had called them about laws regarding transporting 50 gallons of gasoline in my trunk.

Reply to
Danny D.

BTW, in New York, apparently you can't carry more than 25 gallons; yet, California (and presumably the other 49 states), it's 600

*pounds* (yes, pounds) of hazardous materials without a permit.
Reply to
Danny D.

No, that is not true. Propane has limits for both open and closed vehicles. Closed in many states is 25 gallons or 215 pounds.

You also state hazardous materials. Do you think it is legal to transport 600 pounds or radioactive material in your car?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Type II safety can.

No spill and the filler spout and flame arrestors in both openings are non-sparking brass designed for flashback protection.

Reply to
Red Hymen