JerryCan vs "Gasoline" JerryCan?

I wonder what non-sparking brass is?

Reply to
Danny D.

Wonder no more.

Mike Homes

After reading that nice explanation, I've come to realize that there must be *three* kinds of sparks we'd be concerned with (for gasoline) (only two of which were covered in that Canadian OSHA article):

  1. Sparks created *by the tool* (e.g., hammering concrete); and,
  2. Sparks created chemically (e.g., hammering rust); and,
  3. Sparks created elsewhere (e.g., static buildup) given *to the tool*.

From that description, a non-sparking brass is actually a low-incendive metal with respect to the first type only, it appears.

So, for example, if you were to strike a steel hammer against concrete, you'd get a high-incendive sparks; whereas if your hammer were made of low-sparking brass, you'd get (I guess) less incendive sparks.

The problem I see with low-incendive brass is that it still carries electrical current; so, it seems (to me) do to nothing to prevent ignition by static-electricity, which is likely a large cause of portable gasoline can fires.

(Actually pouring gasoline on a BBQ is probably the biggest cause of gasoline related fires!).

Reply to
Danny D.

There's no safety device in the world that can prevent an idiot from doing that. ;-)

Reply to
Adam