is there a moderated version of alt.home.repair

Page 1 of 2
I there a moderated version of this group? Or, has anyone put together a script monkey to prune the noise? Does google have a filter? (Please add trump,clinton,obama,... and so on.) Thanks in advance.
On 1/09/16 22:46, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Maybe you should just find another newsgroup? :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 9:53:24 AM UTC-5, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Or learn to use your eyes to scan past the posts you find offensive or don't interest you. A moderated group will only produce posts the moderator finds interesting.

Usenet by definition is essentially unmoderated. Yes, there are moderated groups, but it's trivial to bypass the moderation. Unfortunately, Usenet portals like HH give the impression that Usenet is a bulllitin board that can be moderated.
That said, I've had a great deal of success just setting up an Agent filter to skip any post that is crossposted to more than 2 groups.
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 11:06:52 AM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I'm certainly not advocating for a moderated group, but I have to disagree with your assertion that a moderator would filter posts based on his/her "interests". Some might, but not all. I sure wouldn't.
I moderate a forum related to MS Office questions, with rights to delete/edit individual posts or delete entire threads. The only posts that ever get deleted are posts from spammers who try to sell software or services as solutions to a posted question.
There are often posts that I have no interest in or are not appropriate for that forum. My "interest" has no bearing on whether I do anything with the post although I will move a post to an appropriate forum on the same site, mainly to make sure it receives the proper attention. e.g. if a network related question gets asked in an Excel forum, I'll move it to where the network experts hang out. It's not because I'm not interested in network related questions, it's because I want the question to be answered.
Luckily, in all the years I have been a member and/or moderator of that forum, we have never had to deal with trolls, off-topic discussions, name-calling, bigotry or any of the issues that we see in a.h.r and many other usenet groups. Maybe it's just that trolls don't think they'll get much traction in a moderated forum, but it doesn't even appear that they try, at least not in the forums that I participate in.
I should add that we don't review posts prior to allowing them to be seen. All edits/moves/deletions are done after the fact. I like it that way because I feel that it adds an extra layer of "protection" to the poster. Deleting an existing post is very different than having the power to decide if it even ends up on the forum. Our method would not work very well in a distributed environment like usenet.
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 11:19:50 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe YOU wouldn't filter posts but a little power is over whelming to some people.
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 5:29:44 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I do you believe I agreed with you before you even responded. It's right there in the part of my post that you included. "Some might....

LOL.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

Not to the best of my knowledge. Maybe. No, I don't think so.
An actual newsreader with good filtering capabilities would help, and someone might be willing to give you good filtering suggestions to populate the filter with.
On 01/09/2016 15:46, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ever thought of ignoring posts that you aren't interested in? It's that simple.
Bod brought next idea :

But that doesn't get rid of the clutter like a good newsreader does when filtering is applied. Plenty of good responses still get lost like a needle in a haystack if you can't remove the cruft from the view.
On 01/09/2016 16:59, FromTheRafters wrote:

> Ok, but I have never filtered any post. I just look for posts that interest me. It's no hassle for me to ignore the ones I'm not keen on.
Bod has brought this to us :

I filter a little, mostly posters who almost never have anything that interests me *and* are too prolific in their posting. The others I just hit whatever "next unread" hotkeys are used.
Google Groups is definitely not for me.

Americans don't have what you have, a brain.
--
What is the punishment for bigamy?
Two mother-in-laws.
On 9/1/16 11:50 AM, Bod wrote:

Hey, some guys just like to delegate control and regulation of their activities to others. They want some authority to be in charge...and they usually support Big Government too;-)
--
Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason so
few engage in it.
On 01/09/2016 17:50, Wade Garrett wrote:

:-)
|I there a moderated version of this group? Or, has anyone put together a script monkey to prune the noise? Does google have a filter? (Please add trump,clinton,obama,... and so on.) Thanks in advance.

Not on usenet. There are various commerical forums, for painters, for contractors, etc. The problem with those is that you have to sign up and give them personal info.
The first step would be to stop using Google Groups webpage format and get a real newsreader. Then you can filter specific posters and may be able to filter some topics. You'll also be able to see posts in a "treeview" display, which makes them much easier to read than a webpage display. Thunderbird is a popular program. There are others specifically for newsgroups. I've seen Mesnews recommended, but never tried it.
Another important thing is not to respond to people prattling. It's of limited help to filter people if someone more cohereht answers them.
In this group I filter a number of people. It's the first time I've ever filtered anyone, but this group is filled with a lot of lonely people who want to chat. Some are nasty. Some are just want to be heard and will say any old thing. Some are old and only half-present. Some are resentful know-it-alls who do know something, but end up not being helpful because they really only care about being right. Winning at the expense of the facts. Some ignore common courtesy but also sometimes say something relevant. You just have to choose for yourself who you think is worth hearing.
I was just away for a few days, earlier this week. I came back to find 150+ new posts. That's with my filters in place. There were probably more like 200 posts. It's getting steadily worse. After a quick scan for idiot topics and "Re:" used in original posts (which are noise from outside, private sites) I think there were maybe 2-3 on-topic posts left -- the one about wiring a dishwasher/disposal and the one about repairing the door. The one about the door was posting an image on flickr, which I can't see, so I ignored it. It was a somewhat silly post, anyway, about estimating a job based on a photo! I'm guessing that poster was really second-guessing a contractor who he was hiring to fix his door. (Hopefully he's not trying to fix someone else's door. :)
There's not much you can do if people have no consideration for others. I increasingly consider just dropping this group. I stay only because I'm a contractor. I like to be of help when I can, to people who don't know where to find info. And occasionally someone really needs help or advice about something related to home repair.
This is by far the worst group I've been in for childish and inconsiderate behavior. I was once in a webmasters group that I left because one nasty regular had created a fiefdom for himself and about half of the regulars allowed him to be the boss. It prevented useful discussion. I also avoid Linux groups. They're filled with smug, unsocialized geeks. But I frequent several tech, programming, Windows groups that are usually pretty good. On the bright side, these forums are completely open to anyone. It's impressive that they work at all, considering all the people who are, so to speak, running around without a diaper, and who *could* be running around here. :)
On 9/1/2016 12:09 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I filter everyone that only posts off topic, even those I may agree with. One took offense when I told him and called it censorship and that was one I agreed with. Everyone has freedom of speech and I have freedom of listening or not listening.
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 07:46:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you don't know how to filter that's nobody's fault but yours. You poor victim.