incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

When your stand is no longer defensible, resort to personal attacks. "See Ya"!!!

Reply to
willshak

Sorry about that, I was wrapped up in the "halogen incandescent lamps are not real incandescent laps" part of this discussion.

But, to your other point, it is important that when regulations are made they are technology neutral and do not specifically limit or favor any specific technology.

It is possible to make incandescent lamps with much higher efficacy than current lamps, though no one has yet figured out how to do that at reasonable cost and with long life. A ban on "incandescent lamps" would also ban any future high efficacy incandescent lamp, and that would be far worse than the present efficacy targets.

In a counter example, parts of the LED industry are trying to get certain cities to mandate LEDs instead of mandating a certain level of performance. Regulations such as these could force the use of lower efficacy technology, since, as we all know, many LED lamps do not perform as well as the fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps they will replace.

Another example is allowing "hybrid cars" with one occupant to use the HOV lanes set up to encourage energy conservation. I own a non-hybrid car that gets better mileage than hybrid SUV's, yet I cannot use the HOV lane if I am alone in the car while the driver of a Escalade Hybrid can. That doesn't make much sense,

So, yes, the new efficacy standards will effectively ban older technology incandescent lamps, but they still leave the door open for new and higher performance versions.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Excellent, Don. 12 watts is indeed substantial. I've been wondering why the California Energy Commission folks have been so interested in what they call "phantom loads". You prompt me to measure my TV as well.

Terry McGowan

Reply to
TKM

It varies by area and climate in the U.S. Energy Star says residential lighting is 12% of the annual energy bill for a typical single home. See:

The dollar value of that 12% is $264 per year.

Terry McGowan

Reply to
TKM

Does your TV remember its settings when power's restored? Mine don't.

Reply to
Bert

Mine does.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Wrong. When idiots clearly don't bother to read, they *are* clueless jerks.

Don't run away mad.

Reply to
krw

Wow! WTFC? The Satellite box is several times that and it *hates* being powered off.

Reply to
krw

e:

It's >>Spending (or lack of it) is the people's way to affect the markets.

Reply to
rick

quoted text -

Go back to school and learn something about US government and the Constitution. We used to call it "Civics". You clearly were sleeping, if they even teach it anymore.

Another clueless moron found.

Reply to
krw

I am no constitutional expert, but I suspect the SCOTUS would support this regulation under the guise of interstate commerce.

Reply to
Shawn Hirn

Nope. Obama actually reduced taxes, but don't let facts stand in your way.

Reply to
Shawn Hirn

One tax for a year and campaigning rather insistently about increasing taxes forever. Not really an impressive record in that area.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

What, you don't believe in "Hope and Change"? Hirn certainly does.

Reply to
krw

Having trouble separating a news report about a proposal from an actual event?

I'd try to explain the difference but I've already had my brick wall quota for today.

Reply to
despen

Even without the "System Restore", Reagan would be better than what we have now. OTOH, it's become crystal clear why Obummer picked the Veep he did;

*very* useful.
Reply to
krw

[ ... ]

I'd like to restore back to Eisenhower, before Johnson started all the great society crap from which virtually every entitlement program is descended.

That, and have Johnson caught for fixing his first election, which would derail his political career.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston