incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

Only because the fixtures rather demand them.

I have them in a fixture in the kitchen. The shadows are much harsher when that fixture is on, than when the others with standard (clear) A19s are on. It's good light, for some things, but I won't put them in the other fixture because of the harsh light. OTOH, I had halogens in Sofitt cans (previous house) and they were great; very concentrated white light where it was needed.
Again, I'm not anti-halogen, just that there are some applications where they work and some not so much.

Clear? How you do that.

I don't have a 100W bulb in the house (two in the garage?).

Keep up with the news:
http://tinyurl.com/44yad47
Philips Lighting (NYSE: PHG) is launching a new line of incandescent light bulbs designed to meet federal energy efficiency standards that will take force in the US over the next few years.
--
Dan Espen

Why do you think that halogen incandescent lamps are not "incandescent" ? How do you think they generate light?
Vic Roberts http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com http://www.cflfacts.com sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org To reply via e-mail: replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Why do pretend that halogen's are the ones we are talking about? Incandescent, in common usage for years and years, has been the round ones. This is just another misdirection to try and pretend something that is happening isn't by splitting hairs VERY fine.

Sorry about that, I was wrapped up in the "halogen incandescent lamps are not real incandescent laps" part of this discussion.
But, to your other point, it is important that when regulations are made they are technology neutral and do not specifically limit or favor any specific technology.
It is possible to make incandescent lamps with much higher efficacy than current lamps, though no one has yet figured out how to do that at reasonable cost and with long life. A ban on "incandescent lamps" would also ban any future high efficacy incandescent lamp, and that would be far worse than the present efficacy targets.
In a counter example, parts of the LED industry are trying to get certain cities to mandate LEDs instead of mandating a certain level of performance. Regulations such as these could force the use of lower efficacy technology, since, as we all know, many LED lamps do not perform as well as the fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps they will replace.
Another example is allowing "hybrid cars" with one occupant to use the HOV lanes set up to encourage energy conservation. I own a non-hybrid car that gets better mileage than hybrid SUV's, yet I cannot use the HOV lane if I am alone in the car while the driver of a Escalade Hybrid can. That doesn't make much sense,
So, yes, the new efficacy standards will effectively ban older technology incandescent lamps, but they still leave the door open for new and higher performance versions.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

Two Philips A19 halogens and four GE A19 halogens meet the efficiency standard. Four other GE A19 halogens, "Reveal" ones, meet a lower efficiency standard that applies to "modified spectrum". The Philips ones achieve the efficiency spectrum by using "HIR" technology. The GE ones apparently to me use premium gas mixtures and shorter filaments to reduce heat conduction loss and also slightly increase filament temperature, along with achieving barely the lumen standard at the highest wattage the standard for a specific wattage range each lumen standard applies to.
I have seen the Philips ones at Home Depot, and the GE ones at Target.
Most R, BR and PAR incandescents with medium base and light output 310-2600 lumens already have to meet an energy efficiency standard that is fairly easy for incandescent to meet. The 2012-2014 "ban" does not make things any worse for these.
The 2012-2014 "ban" has many other exceptions:
* Design light output outside the range of 310-2600 lumens * Design voltage outside the range of 110-130V * Base other than E26/E27 * Globular at least 5 inches in diameter, tubular if over 10 inches long or not exceeding 40 watts * Flame shape and "S" (partial sphere on a cone) bulbs and many popular globular bulb sizes if 40 watts or less
* "Specialty type" such as colored, bug, blacklight, infrared, silver-bowl-tip, left hand thread, shatter-resistant, rough/vibration service if 60 watts or less, appliance/"home oven" if 40 watts or less, traffic signal, plant light, mine service, marine, sign, and a few others
http://www.donklipstein.com/incban.html
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:59:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

The minumum performance of 120-watt reflector lamps is also mandated. They are not exempt.
Vic Roberts http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com http://www.cflfacts.com sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org To reply via e-mail: replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States
The only bulbs being phased out starting 1/1/12 are the standard 100 watt A-line types. PAR30 bulbs aren't on the exempt list, but PAR types aren't mentioned in EISA except for the BPAR (blown glass) type along with R BR and ER types.
There's a good summary at: http://applications.nam.lighting.philips.com/cmolegislation /
Terry McGowan
All of these restrictions will be reversed after the next election, when the American people tell Washington that they can make some decisons for themselves, including their choice of a lightbulb.
James

Why is requiring more efficient light bulbs any different than requiring more efficient refrigerators or cars that get better gas mileage?
Terry McGowan
On 9/11/2011 7:59 PM, TKM wrote:

It is no different. If people want that stuff, in a free economy, they will get it, if possible. None of the above needs Big Brother, a historically incompetent ass, telling individuals what they need or want.
--
Jack
Got Change: Supply and Demand ======> Command and Control!

sure use more power who cares.
we can just build some more nuke power plants, they are perfectly safe.

America is now being run by communists. No matter who gets elected, if they are either democrat or republican, they will be commies. Unless people vote outside these parties, we can all kiss America goodbye. Whats next, a ban on toilets, or maybe a ban on anything and everything that burns fuel. Hell, maybe these commies will ban everyone from living after they reach the age of 60, to solve the Social Security problems. There are European countries that have more freedoms than we now have in America.
And if you think you can order your light bulbs from a foreign country over ebay, I'm sure the US govt will start a program to arrest or even imprison people caught by the postal workers who will use detectors to detect packages with light bulbs. If you think this is too far fetched, think again. They are already doing this sort of thing with people who import tobacco to try to avoid the outrageous taxes they put on tobacco products now.
Just wait till they begin putting "chips" in all newborn babies so they can track every movement they make in life, via GPS..... YES, THIS IS COMING! Mark my word.....
On Sep 12, 12:35am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

yep that law requiring seatbelts and air bags wasnt necessary, nore the fuel economy standards for vehicles

Terry - The Philips summary page does state that PAR38 lamps will be regulated as og 7/14/2012, and my copy of HR 6. gives the lower efficay targets on page 98.
Vic Roberts http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com http://www.cflfacts.com sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org To reply via e-mail: replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

That's right, Vic. PAR 38 lamps are regulated, but that regulation is separate from the requirements for the A-line lamps. And, I didn't find anything that would apply to the PAR30.
Terry McGowan

Woops. I missed the PAR30 reference
On 9/11/2011 1:35 PM, techman41973 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#United_States
posted often at a.h.r http://www.donklipstein.com/incban.html
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:16:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Interstate Commerce Clause. It's in there (everything is).
On Sep 13, 6:10am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Ever notice how the new incandescents (halogen) are coming out now? They have been available but difficult to find and priced way too high for at least 20 years. But now they are showing up for reasonable value in every grocery store.
The market didn't call for seat belts or anti-corruption in business.
Government is the peoples tool to control the markets!
---RickR