IN THE KITCHEN FOR A CHANGE OF SUBJECT

Page 1 of 4
Does anyone here have a recipe for chicken pot pie? I remember having chicken pot pie at Marie Callender's not long ago, and remember it to be lip smacking GOOD! The pot pies you buy from the grocery store are alright, but don't have that light brown and very flaky crust like the freshly made pies from Marie Callender's . I'll be doing the cooking, so a report will be forth coming. :D
On 12/4/2015 12:41 PM, Eagle wrote:

Son,
You need to get with the program<g>
Try <http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes copycat_marie_callender_s_chicken_pot_pie.htm> There are many "copy" sites for recipes based on what you eat at Callender's, Macaroni Grill, Carabba's, etc. all you have to do is Google on what you're looking for and the world (and all its calories can be yours!)
Unquestionably Confused explained :

Dear Granson, I know all this, I was looking for PERSONAL recipies for chicken pot pies. Do you cook sonny? :D
Eagle wrote:

You have to use organic fresh chicken(frozen one will do if you can't get fresh one) to maximize yummy factor....

+1
SWMBO has an annoying tendency of "falling in like" with TJ products. Of course, TJ doesn't do anything besides rebrand other folks' products. And, TJ seems to drop products with inordinately high frequency! Moral of story: don't "fall in like" with anything TJ sells as you WILL be disapoointed -- the only variable there is the "when"!
Most recent "dropped item" was a veggie chili. One of her "regular" meals (ick! no meat??).
A few minutes with search engine turned up an article that addressed these sorts of things -- and the INCREDIBLY likely original ("name brand") source for the chili! I.e., even the photograph on the front of the can was an EXACT copy of the TJ product (or, more accurately, the TJ product was a copy of the original product!)
Had I made such a search, earlier, for other "dropped" products, I probably could have kept her supplied with each of those, as well!
[Of course, here you're talking about Rx's and not product clones]
On 2015-12-04 1:41 PM, Eagle wrote:

I actually made this last night, but the sauce was too runny, I ended up adding flour and cornstarch to try and thicken it up before adding to the pie shell. It was very tasty.
http://www.chicken.ca/recipes/chicken-pot-pie
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
FrozenNorth brought next idea :

Looks good. To Me, the crust is what makes the pie. My Ina made the flakiest and tastiest pie crust ever, but She used lots of Shortening, or even lard. I don't want to use that white stuff, so a good replacement is needed.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 12:01:30 -0800

Well if you do not want to use the proper items then you need to grab your walker move away and STFU!

I use this:
<http://www.spectrumorganics.com/spectrum-naturals/organic-shortening/ I can vouch for it. I make Alton Brown's pie crust using this product and it was a revelation (ABs crust and the shortening):
<http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pie-crust-recipe.html Like Crisco, Spectrum's shortening does not need to be chilled.
nb
notbob presented the following explanation :

Interesting. I'll check this out.
Thanks notbob. :D
On 12/4/2015 12:41 PM, Eagle wrote:

Marie Calendar's has a frozen pot pie you can get in the freezer case at Walmart and it's pretty good. I buy the one that's Parmesan Chicken pot pie quite often. LOVE IT! Big pcs of chicken, creamy sauce, and has broccoli in it. There's other versions of it too that you might like better. You take the lid off it and microwave it for 10 minutes and the crust is nice and crispy. I add a little shaved Parmesan to the top of my crust.
--
Maggie

Muggles brought next idea :

We eat those pot pies all the time here. The ones you mention are the best of the lot, and are much better than the small pot pies from Marie Calenders. I want to make pot pies from scratch, so if you have a recepie for the crust, that would be great! We're going to Winco in a few, so I'm gathering all the info I can right now. Hows the van? Find that leak yet?
On 12/4/2015 2:06 PM, Eagle wrote:

bottom crust: 1c flour 1/2 tsp salt 1/3 c. + 1 Tbsp shortening 2-3 tsp cold water
Measure flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in shortening thoroughly 'til it looks like corn meal. Sprinkle in water and mix 'til it all forms into a ball. Roll dough out for bottom crust.
The crust is flakier the smaller the shortening is cut in. The crust will get tougher if the more times you try to roll it out, so make sure you roll it to size just once vs. trying to start over a second time.
Double the recipe if you want a top crust. You can substitute unsalted butter for shortening. Make sure you cut it in 'til you get a small corn meal look.

Haven't had time to mess with the van looking for a leak, yet. It's on the "to do" list, though.
--
Maggie

Muggles laid this down on his screen :

Thanks Mz M....I saved this recipie. :D
On 12/4/2015 5:30 PM, Eagle wrote:

yw!
--
Maggie

Eagle wrote:

We stock them in our freezer. Made by private caterer. Very good tasting.
Uncle Monster was thinking very hard :

Were they bigger than the large Marie Callanders pies? I don't buy the six pack pies from Marie Calanders, only the bigger ones with cheese. They are tasty! In fact, that was dinner last night here. :D We went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up everything needed to make pot pies except the chicken breast meat. I think We will go to Costco and get our regular staples and a big cooked chicken. The chopped up chicken will make several pot pies and a few good chicken sandwitches with cranberry sauce and mayo on Italian white bread....YUM!
Uncle Monster laid this down on his screen :

Ah yes....I've had chicken casarole in grammer school and in prison. :')
Jail bird Big Bird
Eagle was thinking very hard :

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Fishing is such fun Uncle M... :D
Uncle Monster brought next idea :

I was phishing Uncle M...I have a couple of goons who can't get enough of Me, so they stalk Me wherever I go. :') You're right though, grammer school is prolly much like a prison. It's one race against another. :/