Quote From Time Warner For Cable Service

A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Can he explain his reasoning?

Reply to
taxed and spent

His reasoning for what? Sticking with satellite? It should apparent.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I already have cable hanging on the side of my house and I still went for satellite. I don't know about TW but Comcast sucks. When we had a small independent cable company it was great but comcast soured me on the whole business. Lousy service, reliability sucks and they really don't care when you complain about it. I had my most enjoyable day with comcast when I cut the cable and set their equipment out by the mailbox.

Reply to
gfretwell

...call yourself Homer for responding! (???? ?)

Reply to
bob_villain

Friend had to pay abut $ 3500 for cable to his house. The cable went by the road,but his house was was off the road. He paid it as his wife did a lot of web page writing at home and he also did a lot of internet for some of his work. No other option at the timefor the high speed internet he needed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have cable at home, satellite at work.

Every time we get a severe rain or snow storm, the satellite either freaks out or goes out - sometimes for hours. That never happens with cable. The cable outages have been so few and far between as to be almost non-existent.

I've always looked at it this way: On the worst nights of the year, those nights when I'm going to want to be inside, possibly watching TV, why would I want to to use a system that is prone to be unreliable during those very times?

I imagine Sundays in winter when I want to watch football and my satellite goes out because of a blizzard. No thanks, I'm good with TWC.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I just did some Googling. I'm seeing people complaining about quotes from TWC for ~$3K to run hardline 500 ft from the road to the house.

I did some math:

7000 ft/500 ft = 14 14 X $3K = $42K

Seems like the $44K that my co-worker showed me is right in line with what others have been quoted.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For 7000 feet probably not too much out of range. That cable probably costs

2 to 4 dollars a foot, then some poles (lease from power company) or burry cost and maybe an amplifier or two.

I had cable up to a few months ago. They seemed to keep going up and when they wanted to install digital boxes at each tv and charge for them , I went to direct tv and kept the cable for the internet. Direct tv had a special low rate for a year and some premium stations for a low rate for a while. They even want to charge several dollars a month for the modem , or you can buy your own which is what I did.

About 3 months ago they upped the speed from 15 to 50 meg. The modem I had was not rated for that , so bought the one they recommended on their web site and only get from 22 to 35 meg for the download. I do get about 5.5 to

6 meg on the upload which they rate at 5. Don't recall what the old modem would do on the 50 meg rated system, but probably should have just kept it as it is rated for about 30 or 35 meg.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My experience is the opposite here. The cable went out all the time. I had to turn off the logging on my weather station because it was full. After a hurricane, the TV was out for a week and internet was over 2 weeks. They just have too much equipment hanging on poles. The service really sucks. My wife has a commercial Comcast account and they are no better. (799 captive customers and the whole HOA office)

I have Dish and DSL now. The DSL pretty much never goes out and if it does, it is only a few minutes. It always seems to be fixed at the CO. The sat only goes out in the worst storm and that doesn't last that long. If the storm is that bad I want to see what the local weather says about it and I get that over the air anyway. OTH never goes out.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are not going any faster than the slowest link in the data path so don't get to jolly on what a speed test tells you. It is like SPF numbers on suntan lotion.

If I was trying to justify running a mile and a half of hardline, I would certainly look at sat as an option. Data is expensive but yikes, so is the cable.

Reply to
gfretwell

It would only be good deal if they give him a free modem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just think of the boost for his local ecnomy, if he were to go ahead.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or more. Most one hour shows these days have no more than 42 minutes of program content, including the preview and credits.

Reply to
Neill Massello