Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

Page 1 of 3
I went to Walmart to get a few tubes of silicone caulk to fix some leaks on my barn roof. Just loose nails mostly. They were out of silicone and I asked a worker to check for some in the back. He comes back and says they dont have any. That should have been the end of the discussion but the idiot tells me regular caulk will work and hands me a tube. I said no, it wont stick well enough. Then he hands me some construction adhesive and says "this will stick". I begin to explain that is not intended to be a caulk, when the asshole butts in and tells me I am wrong, and it IS a caulk. About this time another worker, a woman comes over and asks me what is wrong, I explain fixing my roof and she hands me a tube of asphalt roof patching, and insists this is better than silicone. Thats when I got pissed and said "I only want silicone", and announced I will go to Home Depot.
I worked in the home construction trades for over 30 years. I know what I want. and know what to use. I pity the average homeowner who takes this advice and ends up with a real mess because these idiot Walmart employes dont know anything but act like they do, just to make a quick sale. I never asked for their opinions in the first place. I only asked of they had any silicone caulk in the stock room.
On Jul 17, 4:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

As someone who listens to and works in the Retail trade, while also working in the trades plumbing. Ive seen and heard more blowhards who think they know it all and there is no other way but there way. Not to say that of you but the Adhesive was wrong the roof patch will work better than caulk as it doesn't shrink as bad, Caulking is the handyman's secret weapon ahead of duct tape. Remember that we want cheap prices at the store and think that employees should be low payed while knowing all about the store. Where the thingmacallit is and how to rewire a home people If you want good advice don't go to box store but a Mom And Pop as they do care and have the time they own the bussiness. If you can still find one in business
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com says...

Why in hell are you trying to buy building supplies at Wallmart? Do you buy your food at Home Depot too?
--
Keith

ummmmmm..... because they have them, and they're cheaper??
psssttt.... HD doesn't sell food.
--
Steve Barker

"krw" < snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@some.yahoo.com says...

Evidently not.

Exactly.
--
Keith

Any now we know why.

The Home Depot has candy, gum, and a hot dog stand that serves lunch ('round here, anyway). Menards sells food: barbecue sauce, Pop Tarts, etc.
I no longer expect any employee at ANY store to know about the products they sell.
I'm happy if they can just tell me where a specific product is located in the store. If they know, I'm delightfully surprised!
So far as people whose minds are filled with misinformation, seems the more wrong they are, the more they will argue and insist they are correct. I will attempt to give them the correct information once. If they do not listen, then that is their problem...
I tell people that to find anything at HD, you need to ask 3 employees.
By the time you've found 3 employees that will talk to you, you'll have walked the entire store and found the item yourself.
;^)
EL

I bet you live in a house, right?
I noticed that when I lived in an apartment, if I went to HD, I'd get stopped several times by employees, asking if they could help me. They always seemed to think I must be lost or confused. No matter how purposeful or confident I looked, there they were, asking skeptically, "Can I help you find something?". You could almost hear them thinking, "What's he doing here...this is *HOME* Depot, not *APARTMENT" Depot".
When I bought a house, that stopped. Now I can wander the store, looking lost, confused, obviously yearning for help, and no employee will come near me.
--
--Tim Smith

snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Nowadays, when I ecounter that kind of "strong smell of stupid", I just think to myself, "Aren't you glad you're you and not them and have what you've got now because you studied and learned things and thought about what you were going to say before you opened your mouth?"
That works great for me....
Another one I learned recently was not to get irritated when I'm running late but have to pull my car over when an ambulance siren starts wailing. I just say to myself, "Gee, I sure hope they get that poor soul to the hospital in time, what if it's one of my loved ones?"
Just my .02,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Good advice. Even a little prayer for the ambulance passenger, as well as the attendants. Firefighters, paramedics and police all have dangerous jobs, and could use it. After a very bad accident of my own, I am even more aware of this than I used to be.
As for the know-it-all workers, I typically just explain what I'm doing, and provide the informaton. They can take it or not. Often they won't appear to at the moment, but it may give them thought for later. Sometimes, I have found that the guy does know what he's talking about, and one of us is simply not communicating well enough. Patience is difficult to come by when you are in the middle of a job and have to run to the store, but it is a good thing to have. I know I need it myself sometimes.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 04:47:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

I agree with the others. The old lady at Walmart knows ten times more than you about the correct product.
Listen to them. They are much smarter than you.

"One sparrow does not make a summer." Walmart is where you get stuff at a great price, not where you go to get advice. If you want to avoid Walmart and pay too much for stuff, that is your right. But the old- fashioned hardware stores where some grandpa expert told you everything you needed to know are all gone with the wind. It is a new age. Now if you want advice, you have to ask Google.
Bert Byfield wrote: ...

For such a great start, you went astray awfully early... :)
WalMart doesn't even necessarily have all that great a price -- you really need to know what things go for elsewhere before making the assumption its cheapest there...
And "all" home-owned full-service hardware stores aren't "gone with he wind"...many, true, but certainly not all...

Yep -- was in an industrial supply house this morning, picking up some bearings, and saw a rack of AA batteries behind the counter with this sign over it: "We beat Wal-Mart's prices on batteries". And they did.
--
Regards,
I live in a place (West Tennessee) where there are still pleanty of mom and pop stores. Sadly, most of the people in this area are ignorant.
dpb wrote:

Unfortunately big box stores and restaurants have the money to create the buzz that they are "experts" when nothing is further from the truth.

Really? When did they start that? You may get some things at a good price, but they are not the cheapest around. They often sell a lower quality brand or carry the cheaper models.
WalMart spends millions of $$$ in advertising to get you to think they have the lowest prices. Same with Home Depot and Loews, etc. It pays to shop around and be aware of the cost of items you use regularly.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

=Very true. There has been a significant decline in the quality of Wal-Mart peddled goods. One mid-line lawn sprinkler broke right out of the box and the outdoor extension cord I bought has the plug pulled out after about three uses.