Wiring a double outlet, how-to dept.

I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the right length to not have problems installing the face plate. In an inspired action the other day, I assembled the sockets in the double switch plate and wired them there. When removed them from the switch plate & put them in the box, it went as easy as pie. I didn't have to fight or lever at all, and the switch plate dropped right on. I just though I'd share, maybe everyone else has been doing that right along, but it was a revelation to me.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I certainly hadn't thought of it. Thanks.

Reply to
mm

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying that you previously had difficuty connecting one of the two duplex outlets to the other? If so, I am minorly sad to inform you that there is no need to connect them as they

*come* connected (unless you have broken off the tabs that do so).
Reply to
dadiOH

Great idea, must remember that. WW

Reply to
WW

It would seem what he's talking about is putting two duplex outlets into a box. Not sure I see the big issue here either though. You just leave the two outlets slightly loose in the box so they can move just a bit, then align them to the cover plate as you put it on.

Reply to
trader4

There is an element I hadn't seen necessary to mention, I use 12 ga wire exclusively and in short runs like that it is very stiff. I have had success in the past making the connecting wires V shaped which gave them a little give, but this is definitely superior, it is like installing a sub assembly.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Ah, I see...two 2-receptacle devices. I think that's a great idea, don't ever recall seeing such. And a cursory Google search doesn't turn up any ready made ones (hooked together so only one has to be wired) which rather surprises me as I'd think *some* manufacturer would have had a similar inspirational moment.

And I agree about 12 gauge wire, a real PITA.

Reply to
dadiOH

Clever idea

Reply to
Metspitzer

Lots of luck on that with 12 gage. It's far faster to use something similar to the OP suggestion, even better with pigtails.

Reply to
Joe

Eric in North TX wrote in news:436bba26-b390-4072-9f1a- snipped-for-privacy@y19g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

I finally figured out what you meant! Yes, a good tip. If what I perceived is not what you meant then I have a good idea! :-)

Reply to
Red Green

The idea of attaching two devices to a cover plate and wiring them there only is practical only if you use back-stab connectors, generally a frowned-upon shortcut and only possible with 14 gauge wire.

For added long-term reliability the two devices should be wired with one unbroken length of wire. This requires sufficient wire length outside the box when the wire is first run. Strip away enough wire to loop around the terminals of the first device about 6 inches from the end of the wire, then strip away from the end of the copper for the second device. Wire both devices before placing them in the box; you can use the cover plate to shape the wires for the proper distance between the devices.

Reply to
Bob

I disagree, the 4 hard wire posts allow for secure attachment of the connecting wires, with 4 spots let over for hard wiring / expansion, The sloppy nature of doing it all in position would not be more reliable than the sub assembly securely wired in with nicely looped wires. I don't back stab, that is just asking for it. There are 8 screws between the 2 outlets, only 4 are needed to complete the sub assembly.

Reply to
Eric in North TX